PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

GPS / SAFETY / COMPUTER SOFTWARE QUESTION

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GPS / SAFETY / COMPUTER SOFTWARE QUESTION

Post by heydeerman on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:01 pm

I know one of the problems I have run into on public is marking stand sites and the trails in and out. Sometimes there are a ton of cat eyes are in the trees and you dont see em till you go to find the spot you're looking for. I am also concerned about marking my stand locations for others.

Another concern is someone knowing exactly where I am at. In trying to keep everything as secret as I can, it is difficult to tell someone exactly where you will be in case something happens where you might need help.

These 2 things are a concern for me while on public. I also hunt private and my wife usually goes with me to and stands so she knows exactly where I am in case something happens. I have been considering a GPS to use while hunting public. I kinda dont want to tag the technology into the woods with me but I can see it's application for my concerns.

Here is what I am looking for. I want to use the GPS to mark my stand sites and use software at the house so my wife will know exactly where I can be found if needed. I am looking for recommendations for a GPS that will allow some kind of interaction with software on the home pc. I want to be able to scout, mark a location where I will park and where the stand will be, and have the locations at home. I want to be able to accurately mark what I am doing to be found if needed.

If you are using something like this the advice would be greatly appreciated.
heydeerman
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: GPS / SAFETY / COMPUTER SOFTWARE QUESTION

Post by bowonly on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:33 pm

My wife is also very concerned for my safety when I am hunting, so I typically send her the GPS coordinates for where I am going to be and have shown her how to pinpoint that exact location on any of the several satellite earth view websites that are out there. I generally give her the coordinates a day in advance just in case when I get to said location I have no cell service.

Another advantage to using a GPS is not having the confusion of reflective tape or cat eyes/bright eyes. I just hang a small reflector near the tree I am planning to use in my hunt. A route can be plotted to avoid certain terrain obstacles even with the simplest of GPS's.
bowonly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Exclamation I use the gps kit app on my iPhone. Works just as good as a $300 gps & I always carry my phone so nothing extra to bring. I do always have a compass for back up use.

Another thing I started doing this year is sending my wife gps coordinates once I get on stand. I use the gps to SMS app for this. My wife has contact info for a couple of my friends, she can send the cooridnates to if I don't return from a hunt.
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:19 am

Jim,

I agree with Cbigbear that if you can use an app on your phone they do work well, so long as you have adequate signal. No signal, no coordinates. Also, the weaker your phone signal the less accurate a phone will be. I have an app on my phone and use it alot but there are a lot of areas I hunt where I have little to no signal and it just doesnt cut it then.

So far as a GPS, I will only buy Garmin. Super customer service and very reliable. If you want simple but functional find a 12XL. Is older and without the color graphics but they are sturdy and very reliable. Can probably find one on ebay or Craigslist.

What ever GPS you buy, you can give your wife the GPS coordinates and she can use google maps to pinpoint your location. Or you can download goodle earth, both are free and fairly easy to use. Plus she can even map to your location for driving directions. Works very well. One last note, God forbid you were ever in an accident, you or she can just give your coordinates to the 911 operator so even with out the ability to find you on a map, your wife would have the peace of mind that she could help you if you were in trouble.
Shoot me an email if you would like to discuss further, I have been using GPS and topo software to do preliminary scouting for years. If I can help you out I will be glad to.

Steve
BowhunterGA

http://www.simplytraditional.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:04 pm

[quote="BowhunterGA"]Jim,

I agree with Cbigbear that if you can use an app on your phone they do work well, so long as you have adequate signal. No signal, no coordinates. Also, the weaker your phone signal the less accurate a phone will be. I have an app on my phone and use it alot but there are a lot of areas I hunt where I have little to no signal and it just doesnt cut it then.

Not sure if you mean cell service or signal strength when picking up satellites. With GPS Kit you don't need cell service to us the gps, but you need to make sure the maps for the areas you hunt are in the cache. To display maps you need an internet connection or the maps need to be in the cache memory. As far as satellite reception my phone works just as good as any hand handle gps I have used. The only drawback I have found to using the phone gps is battery life. Make sure you have a back-up handy for me it's the trusty old battery free compass.
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:38 pm

I don't have a smart phone and don't plan on getting one anytime soon although I do see an application here. I would probably find myself playing instead of hunting geek . I know the Iphone is basically a small computer.
heydeerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Deerman, I was the same way a few years ago until I got a work issued iphone now I have to admit it would be hard to do without. I think the gps capablitites alone make it worth while.

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:50 pm

I have work issued crackberry...worthless.
heydeerman

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Glad I had a garmin when we were out in the real woods. Our cell phones searching for service ran the battery dead by 0900.

As far as safety,just text the gps co-ordinates your at home,or leave a note with them on it.

If you need to be located,anyone with a GPS (and in the case of a non-return,this will be rescue) can plug them in and get there quickly.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top