PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Guido's web

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Guido's web

Post by TN hunter on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:07 pm

Well I just got off the phone with Mr. Palasini, and I finally ordered a web. As soon as it comes in I will take pictures of it and my set up (modified) and post them. I'm excited to be a bit more lite and much quieter.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Guido's web

Post by Cbigbear on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:41 pm

I just picked up a new in the box 2005 model web from a guy that closed his shop. I've been playing with it for the past couple days. I have also made some mods & continue tweaking some things to better suit my hunting style. Look forward to hearing your review & I'll put something up when I get my system worked out.

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I finally took pics of my web set up here they are.Photobucket" alt="" />Photobucket" alt="" />Photobucket" alt="" />Photobucket" alt="" />
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm running a similar setup except I'm clipped into a prussic knot on the main line. Prussic gives a little faster adjustments.
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:20 pm

yeah I tried the prussic. And it works I was experimenting with the butterfly I think either one will work with this setup.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:42 am

Good stuff! I think you'll really like it.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:34 am

What are you planning on doing with your bow? I've been thinking about this & I'm not sure I want it on a bow hanger off the tree. Something attached to the left of the Web would be great, I just haven't come up with anything yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:56 pm

I have been thinking about this and I would like to have it attached to the web like you said. not sure but i might get a beaner and clip it to the webbing some way. I will work on it. I have started scouting for the preseason so time is short. If you or anyone else comes up with a good idea please post it.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:35 pm

What did you use for the bridge?
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:12 pm

same thing the web is made out of seat belt material I had my local rope and rescue dealer make me a 24" piece with loops in the end. The stuff is rated 3 to 4 thousand pounds i think.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Do you mind me asking how much it cost you? I don't have any stores like that anywhere around here.
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm using 1" climbing spec webbing for my bridge slides in a biner real easy.

TN hunter - I found a small biner to work best for a bow holder.

Also I added a tree in my garage. The rain has been keeping me from practicing out the web, but not anymore. I only get a few feet of height but I can work on all angles of shooting.

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Cbigbear, I can't really tell from your picture but did you just tie end loops on the webbing yourself? I've thought about going that route as well but wasn't sure I wanted to trust my own knots. That is hardcore putting a tree in your garage! I hope that Isaac takes it easy on your area. It looks like our area is just going to get some of the outer bands.
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Yes it's a piece of webbing with water knots at each end. Water knots are very easy to tie & strong. You will also have to tie figure 8's or bowline's on your main line if you go with a rope tether.

I think we will be ok with Isaac. Figured the light pole will help brace the rafters.

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Ok, thank you!
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:09 pm

Not at all Deep it only cost me like 10 dollars for the material and that includes the loops they were done with rescue spec thread. try out this web site I got my rope from there they might have it.http://www.rocknrescue.com/ Hey big awesome set up I like the way you did the bow carry. That's the same thing I was thinking. I have never talked to anyone that has put a telephone pole in there garage that is awesome. I was looking at 2 inch pvc to make my steps on either side of the tree. How are you gonna transport the steps and how long are they. Also when you cut them did you to a 90 and 45 degree cut?
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:32 pm

I think I'm going to try the 1" webbing like cbigbear. Do you guys see any advantage going to a rope hookup to the tree over the tether belt that comes with the web? I think I'm going to make the tether belt work worth a bridge and see how I like it before putting any money into rope.
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Rope is much faster if you use the web for climbing. Also the rope is easier to change positions ie walk around the tree.

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:27 pm

x2^ it makes life a lot easier.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Ok....guess I'll be rope shopping now.
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm probably going to get this rope from REI and dye it a darker color http://www.rei.com/product/472013/pmi-e-z-bend-sport-11mm-static-rope. Do you guys think it will work and what length should I get?

I'm looking at this for the prussic http://www.rei.com/product/716227/pmi-accessory-cord-8mm. Again, will this work and what length should I get?
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 am

Both ropes look good. I'd go 12' on the 11mm & 6' on the 8mm.

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:44 pm

If I had to do it all over again I would do 12 instead of 15' I did 15 because I wanted the option incase. I got 10mm and it works fine but I thought about getting 9mm 11mm should be fine. Good luck and I'm sure that line your looking at will do well, I also have the pmi it is great rope.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:59 am

New here. I hunted all of last season with a tree saddle. Just ordered a web and I hope it climbs as well as my saddle. I use single rope technique with a RAD/Yo-Yo system. It should work very well with the web. I will find out soon. Good to be here.

Whispers Death

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by DeepSouthHunter on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks guys and welcome Whispers Death! I'm not familiar with that climbing method but I'm sure you will love the web.
DeepSouthHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:22 pm

Hey Whispers do you use ascenders? to climb whith is that what the yo you system is made up of? And how do you get your rope to your first limb? hand throw or sling shot?
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Sometimes I hand throw. I use zip it line and a 10 oz. rocket bag. If there are a ton of limbs or no limbs, sometimes I use bear paws or sticks to climb and then put a bolt or tree step in at the height I want and leave a pull up line in the tree. I carry about 40 feet of rope (KM III Max) to the tree. I tie a screw link (mailon rapide oval 3/8 inch) on the end of all of my ropes with a double fisherman's knot that stay on them forever. This makes it easier for the rope to slide through....less friction on the rope and easier to pull down later. I get to the tree, tie the bare end of my rope to the cord and start to pull it up over the limb. When the screw link starts up the tree, I open the screw link and slide the cord into the link and close it. I have to do that or else I would have to carry 60-70' of rope. Then I continue to pull the cord through the screw link as it goes up the tree. You must tie the very end of the rope to the cord so it will pass through the screw link and not get hung up. Continue pulling the rope through and your cinch will travel up the tree. When it gets to the top, give it a whip and pull and it is set.

I carry a Petzl ascension hand ascender with an adjustable foot loop attached to the bottom and a key lock oval carabiner with a small prusik minding pulley for rigging. I have a Petzl Rig attached to my bridge with a Petzl William screw lock carabiner. It stays on the bridge and serves as my capture device. I also use it to adjust my drape at hunting height. I don't do a switchover. I hunt from the rope. The rad system is incredible easy and safe to use. Do a search on RAD or yo-yo SRT and check it out. It is easier than climbing a ladder. I don't sweat. It is silent, and in the pitch dark at the end of the hunt, I grab the down rope, pull the rig lever and glide to the ground. I tie my bow hauling rope to the screw link so I can pull my cinch back down at the end of my hunt. Awesome system that I don't see changing anytime soon.

Whispers Death

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:43 pm

I usually have my trees all set up months ahead of time....sometimes years because the really good spots don't change. I will admit it would be difficult to go in in the dark and try to hand throw a set and hunt, but not impossible especially if there are a lot of trees with crotches or limbs in the twenty to thirty foot range. Also, you need to set foot pegs or some type of platform. I love a nice big limb to use as one foot hold. I also do this ahead of time. I typically use 3 tree steps or two summit buck steps ratcheted to the tree...one on each side. Sometimes I drill and put 2 or three bolts in the holes and pull them out on the way down...It's all fun.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:52 pm

Petzl RAD

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:54 pm

Instead of the gri-gri, I use the Petzl Rig because you can lock the rope with the lever.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 pm

I believe I will use climbing rope for my bridge on my web when I get it. I think i will tie it on the left Lineman's loop and then set up a distel hitch with a tending pulley on the right. That way I can shorten the bridge down tight for climbing, then easily lengthen the bridge once I reach hunting height. Won't know how that works until I get it.

Whispers Death

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:19 pm

You use some advanced techniques to get up your tree. I was thinking about using the gri gri system but I don't have anyone to show me how to set it up and what I got works for me. maybe in the off season. Because it would be much easier to use your technique with the web and a lot less work. As you can attest to. asenders make life so much easier as well. So my question now is how did you come across this system? do you do tree work for a living?
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Found something I like for a footrest. It's pretty simple, light, & easily adjustable. Here are pics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:52 pm

TN Hunter,
I must have packed my summit viper a thousand miles over the years. Two years ago I got a tree saddle and I used ladder sticks, lone wolf sticks, summit buck steps, and bear paws (still have them all). I bought one of those life line systems with a prusik so I could climb safely up in the dark and get hooked up. I was hanging there one evening and I thought....Man if I could just climb this dang rope I sure would cut a lot of this crap out of the equation. I started studying arborist and caving techniques and bought some books and slowly started collecting the parts. I tested all sorts of prusik cords (8mm Bee line is my favorite) and various hitches. Joined a few forums, bought a few books (OnRope is a great book), and I taught myself. It was pretty rough actually until I bought the ascender and pulley.The guys I hunt with including my Dad are not interested in it at all. Funny thing is I have collected all kinds of ascenders now and play around with them thinking I might find a system even easier, but it hasn't happened. That RAD system is so easy and quiet. I used 3 ropes all of last season and you can't tell they have been used. When I started with the rad system, I used the gri-gri. It is light and works great as a capture device. I used it on several hunts and always kept my right hand on the down rope coming from the pulley. Then when I reached the top, I would switch over to the strap that came with the tree saddle. The only problem with the gri-gri is if you step up on a limb and take the weight off the rope, the gri-gri disengages and you free fall until friction locks it back up. On a static rope, that'll kill ya. It is designed to feed rope quickly to belay another climber. It is still a great capture device. They tell me there is a European version that has a spring like the rig to keep the rope engaged, but I've never seen one.Most of the time, there is some weight on the rope because you are leaning away from the tree, but I feel better with the Rig because a twist on the handle locks the rope....hence no need to switch to a different tie in. It weighs more, but it's worth it.

Cbigbear,
That is a good idea. I suppose with your feet against the bark, you can walk around the tree with that? I might have to play with that.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Whisper, what's the weight on your rope setup? Is it a pack in, setup, & pack out type deal?

The webbing loops give some stability to move, but I also have my LW sticks in the middle. I climb with one stick so I use it as my middle footrest. I find by changing the height of the loops by only a few inches can really help in the comfort department. The strap buckle stay within easy reach & can be adjusted in seconds.

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:32 pm

nice set up there Cbigbear. That looks very comfy. O.K whispers that explains it. I bought a lot of my beners from On Rope and actually met the author of the book great guy. I think I might really look at that set up and see if I can't put it to use next year. This year I am gonna stick with what I got but I can already tell that that system is super easy to use once you get used to setting it up.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:23 am

Whisper's if you get a chance please take pics of your set up and post them.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:50 am

I had a long reply typed out last night, but my laptop charger was unplugged and I lost it. Had to start over.

TN Hunter,
I will take some pics.....of course you can substitute tons of things to basically do the same thing. The big deal for the RAD system is the 3 to 1 mechanical advantage that is attained by the simple pulley redirect. In essence, you are only lifting 1/3 of your weight. I step up with my left leg while pulling down on the redirect from the pulley and up I go. In fact, it could all be done with prusiks and a single pulley or you could even use just a carabiner as your pulley. It would just be a lot more cumbersome to set your prusiks. I have done it with webbing. The reason I went with the ascenders is ease and speed of setup.

Cbigbear,
I haven't weighed these things, but I believe the rope is 8lbs for 100' so 40' probably weighs between 3 and 4 pounds. The Petzl Rig, hand ascender, pulley, and carabiner probably weigh 3 pounds all together....then 2 or three steps, bolts or whatever. So probably 7 pounds plus harness. You can get a lot lighter. You can use 9mm PMI easy bend rope, a microscender, pulley and some webbing for foot loop and knock the whole thing down to 3-4 pounds, but I like sturdy, comfortable equipment.
For years I carried a Summit Viper with a 8-10lb. pack bungied to the stand. Not uncommon to be 30-35 lbs. on my back.
The weight savings are significant, but even more so are the advantages of facing the tree, being able to position myself, being totally quiet climbing, always tied in from the ground up, and not getting busted anymore. Nobody mentions it much, but I see more animals from my tree saddle then I ever saw from a ladder or climber. Bobcats and coyotes that typically picked me off from 75 yards away now walk right under my tree. The only time I have been busted in the last two years was when I got winded by a group of does.
My favorite part of the whole system is rappelling from tree in the dark. I love it. There is a great forum called Canopy Chatter, where I learned a ton of info.
Of course, all of this stuff should be practiced at 5 feet off the ground over and over again until the concept is second nature, but you guys know that already.

Talk Later
Whispers Death

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Cbigbear,
Regarding pack in, take out, Sometimes I leave ropes out for weeks. My rope manufacturer claims my rope can be left out in the elements for extended periods without degradation. Of course that's not taking into account some squirrel using my cinch up in the tree as a chew toy. That is a risk I take. It is super nice to already have ropes already setup. I carry 75 feet of zip it line in my pack for throwing over a limb. While hunting, I just use a tree step to tie on and throw.....god be careful if you do this. A tree step bouncing out of a tree and smacking you on the head would be bad, but you need weight to pull the line down. When I am scouting and setting up trees, I use a 10 oz. throw bag. I bought 150" of rope and cut it into 3-40' hanks. I used the leftover to make an adjustable lanyard that I use when setting up trees. I used these ropes all of last season and you can't tell they have been used. The teeth on the ascenders look like they would chew up a rope, but that is clearly not the case. Good ascenders are very gentle on a rope and KMIII Max is some tough stuff.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Thank a lot whispers. For your help.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Sounds like you got a good system going. I looked into this method awhile back, but the weight was a killer for me. My current system weights 2.5lbs & takes about 7-8mins to climb to 20' including setup time. Your system would excel on really limby trees, not having to navigate around limbs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:11 am

Cbigbear,
I am going to put a sling on one of my LW sticks and try out your technique to set cords in a few trees. I have used the girth cinching before, but I was very slow at it. I'm short and don't have a lot of reach. For going in cold turkey, I can see your advantages. It can take me a half hour to throw a line or set up bear paws to set my rope and get set-up. That's why I have my trees set up ahead of time if I can.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:22 am

You think with practice Whispers you could go in cold and setup faster?
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:59 am

Depends on the trees. If there are trees with good limbs 20' +/-, then a few minutes is all it takes. A tree with no limbs for 30' is a problem.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Takes a while in the dark to set up sticks or a climber also if you've never been there.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:15 pm

I also have an idea for an ultralight RAD system I'm working on. I think I have all the stuff to do it. It involves a carabiner, pulley, 1" webbing and a Tibloc. Should weigh next to nothing if I use a Gri-Gri.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:52 pm

saw the tibloc the only problem with that is the teeth are pretty aggressive I would be afraid of the damage to the rope. I was looking at using a prussic and using a micro pulley to advance the prussic. Like you said earlier there are many options. I am trying for the safest and lightest combination.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:40 pm

The teeth on a Tibloc aren't anymore aggressive then on a Petzl ascension and the ascension didn't mark my ropes at all. I think the people that have problems with tiblocs are trying to descend with them which I would never do. They catch the rope to easily when trying to free slide them down the rope. ..not a problem for me because I remove it when I reach the top. They are designed for short ascents and in the world of climbing, that is exactly what our little tree climbs are.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:48 pm

The prusik should work good....need a hitch or prusik that doesn't get to tight and doesn't spread to much so you don't lose progress on your strokes. A michoacan(sp) might be good....or the blakes. I watched a video the other night of a guy that uses a distel with a pulley in place of the gri-gri/rig. It was slick and cheap. I'd have to have a back-up on that though....probably run a sling from my ascender to my bridge in that situation for two points of connection.

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:23 pm

So many options!
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down