PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

A Spooky Spike

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Spooky Spike

Post by Chris Spikes on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Another one on Ocmulgee WMA over crabapples. Not a textbook killshot, but it did the job.

Chris Spikes

Back to top Go down

Re: A Spooky Spike

Post by vortex1 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:15 am

yep he smelld u ive hadem cross ma trail and do the exact same thing:) Another thing, nothin wrong with that shot ( texas heart shot) They is about six diferent arteries( all about the size of a half dollar:) that come together in tha hips and hams. some of the best and shortest boloodtrails ive ever seen came from hip shots, now some will run a good ways but it usually killsem in tha first hunerd or hunerd and fifty. some call that un ethical but to tell you tha truth, i wouldnt want to do it but if i was in tha clutch, a hip shot wouldnt bother me cause it will flat out shut one down. Also excellent self film, ima try to get one on film this year, never have but im tryin. Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Great video Chris. Really like the setup description you did showing why & where you were hunting. Do you mind sharing your video setup?

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Spikes on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 pm

This is the setup that I have used in the past. Canon ZR 960 on a homemade monopod and mount.

Chris Spikes

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:06 pm

vortex1, while a hit in the hindquarters may in fact kill, it may in fact not as well, the artery target is VERY small in this area,amounting to a target less than a half inch across.

Part of being a responsible bowhunter is restraining yourself until you have a good shot at the vitals, and not shooting at an alert deer that is well aware of your presence, and may jump string. Not taking a hail Mary and hope it works on a departing deer.

Yes, I will call that an unethical shot. While I know that a shot on live game can go wrong sometimes, I feel that this shot should not have been taken.

Chris Spikes you were VERY lucky to have ever seen that deer again after the shot. We have a responsibility to the game we hunt to offer it respect, and not take a chance at producing undue suffering through our actions, and I simply do not see that in this particular video.
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Spikes on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:19 pm

The video quality was lacking somewhat with my old camera, plus my mounting system left alot to be desired because of the creaks and pops from the cheap head, and the shake that was generated from being mounted directly to the stand.

This year I've upgraded to HD and gone to a tree arm. I bought a Canon M40 camera and installed an Azden shotgun mic, and purchased a 3rd Arm Mini Pro XL tree arm. The video quality from this camera is phenomenal as well as its performance in low light. The tree arm is lightweight and compact but still stable and very well made.

I could have gone bigger and better with both the camera and arm, but the most important thing to me is that the setup be easily packable for the long distances that I normally hunt from the road. Over time, big and bulky would begin to get left in the truck.

Chris Spikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:38 pm

nice upgrade in film gear.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:23 pm

SlowBow wrote:vortex1, while a hit in the hindquarters may in fact kill, it may in fact not as well, the artery target is VERY small in this area,amounting to a target less than a half inch across.

Part of being a responsible bowhunter is restraining yourself until you have a good shot at the vitals, and not shooting at an alert deer that is well aware of your presence, and may jump string. Not taking a hail Mary and hope it works on a departing deer.

Yes, I will call that an unethical shot. While I know that a shot on live game can go wrong sometimes, I feel that this shot should not have been taken.

Chris Spikes you were VERY lucky to have ever seen that deer again after the shot. We have a responsibility to the game we hunt to offer it respect, and not take a chance at producing undue suffering through our actions, and I simply do not see that in this particular video.

I disagree with you calling this an unethical shot. Was the deer alert, yes. But the shot was 11yds & Chris had the confidence in his equipment to make the shot. If you don't shoot at alert deer in the South ya just don't shoot. These deer walk on pins & needles. Now Chris said he didn't hit the spot he was aiming at, which doesn't make things unethical, it means the shot was off happens to all of us.

The 10pts I posted in the trophy den was alert, hard quartering away, & at 35yds when I shot. I drilled him in the heart & he made it 40yds. Pretty much same situtation as Chris but I had a compound. I don't think either shot was unethical.

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Gentleman, while sharing your opinions about this issue please *CONTINUE* to be respectful. You guys are knowledgeable, and passionate about what we do. Those can be somewhat volatile ingredents, under such circumstances as this. Sometimes it's alright to agree to disagree.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top