PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Where did you get your knowledge from?

Go down

Where did you get your knowledge from?

Post by Wolfshead on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:09 am

I did not have anyone who was a hunter that I could learn from as a boy.
The closest was My Great-Grandfather whom I never met, but I am told I was similar too. My Mother always told me that I reminder her of her Grandfather and that I was born in the wrong day and age...
Where did you get most of your hunting knowledge from?
How did you become the hunter you are today?
I am getting mine from sites like this and guys like you

FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Re: Where did you get your knowledge from?

Post by Cbigbear on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:40 am

Learned a lot from my dad & personal experience. Last year I met Mr. Warren Womack (he is a member). Reading his stuff & talking to him has decreased my learn curve 10 folded & made me a much better hunter. I suggested you do some reading here, it will no doubt help you out.
http://www.newoutdoorcore.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:41 pm

learned from my daddy and grandaddy, They taught me alot and alot i learned on my own. Also My brother Helped me alot with scouting public land. Probly the most educational thing though is the fact that i have been forced to bowhunt public land for the past 5 years or so and that has ultimately made me a better hunter. I still love to rifle hunt just cause my daddy liked to but i dont get to much anymore. But im satisfied with tha bow, its made my approach to hunting ALOT better. Also im learning a pretty good bit from this site, there is alot of good stuff, so dive on in. Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Unfortunately I am a first generation hunter. This is my second season. And I am doing combination self / mentor. I have a group of hunters that I know through work. And they have a combined 80 years plus of experience. They have helped a lot and then the rest I get from places like this site and others. I have learned a lot in just the two years I have been hunting.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:43 am

Wolfshead wrote:I did not have anyone who was a hunter that I could learn from as a boy.
The closest was My Great-Grandfather whom I never met, but I am told I was similar too. My Mother always told me that I reminder her of her Grandfather and that I was born in the wrong day and age...
Where did you get most of your hunting knowledge from?
How did you become the hunter you are today?
I am getting mine from sites like this and guys like you

x2

I started hunting 3 years ago cold turkey having NEVER hunted in my life. All of my knowledge has come from sites like this and especially texasbowhunter.com where I spend alot of time gleaming knowledge from experienced hunters!

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow on Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 am

I grew up beside my granddad. He was the most pratical but smartest man I've ever knew by far. He wasnt a deer hunter even though he knew more about deer than the adverge person knows. Not throgh hunting just because everything enterasted him and he wanted to know about everything form eagles to butter flies. He did stoped learning.
But was the best gobbler hunter I ever knew,seen talked to read about. He had 311 shoot gun gobbler kills in 92 strings. Never used a pop-up or a decoy he concerdered that ambushing the gobbler something he's never do. Heck he never used camo untill 1961.
He was one of those KUNG FU type teachers. And you did'nt know you'd learn anything untill you relizes you just did. He wasn't just a natural teacher and master woodsman he was a nateralist long before someone coined the word nateralist.
He always knew why a animal did what he did,why when and where he did what it did. He alway antalizes every insect, bird right down to a house cat doing what he did and why he did it. WHat was the perpose in the circle of life. He taught me what all theys things were inportant and it's place it lifes circle.
But GRANDDAD was only the start. As long as I can reamember I spent every min.I could in the woods,fields and along the creek or river fishing. Not just hours days or weeks but years.
When I told grandad whenI was a kid I was going to be a buck hunter. I read and read everything I could over and over and over about deer and deer hunting I could. I have over 150 books or deer and deer hunting. I talk to everyone I could. A few old timers I grew that were gobbler hunter my granddad knew. I'm sure they hated to see me walking across the yard.
After the vidio chaze came about in the mid 80's I watched and rewatched all I could. I still watch some today. Only now it just to see mature bucks and leaning how to age them better. But I like shows like NAW ,CREG MILLER I HOLD WITH VERY HIGH RESPECT. AS WELL AS STAND POTTS. And a couple other hunters that did'nt get where they are becuase of money hunting for a vidio on leasted farms held just for the hunter and the filming crew. THEY BECUAME DEER HUNTERS BEFORE THEY STARTED VIDIOING.
I know I flimed for 2 people that were well know back in the MID TO LATER 80'S AND COUBLE OTHERS. BUT NOT MANY I CAN'T DO THE ADVERTISMENT THING. THE WAYS SOME HUNT OR THE PLACES THEY HUNT.
I know there's lot on here that grew up and not knowing no better way to hunt Tthan the ways they've seen over the years. But unless your hunting the MID WEST ON FARMS WITH NO PRESSURE THAT ONLY THEY HUNT A FEW TIMES A YEAR. HAVING TO USE OR HAVE A CERTEN THING OR THERES JUST NO WAY YOU'LL KILL BUCKS OR FIT INTO A RIGHT CLICK TO LOOK COOL WITH THAT CERTIN CAMO. None of those things will kill you your bucks. But they'll have your money.
If you try hunting this way and most do because that the only way they've ever seen or know.
Your setting your self up to just watch the sun come up over and over. Or you'll have a lot of lonely walks back to your truck in the dark.

I read learned all I could for years and years coupled with the ways granddad taught me and 42,43 years of buck hunting,fishing camping,scouting and 10,000 miles of just hiking 13 summers 13 different countrys. Or just 51 years of just doing it ,being there. This is why I know what I know today. And the jorunery go's on it never stops.
MY GRANDAD TAUGHT ME ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING. AND I LIVED BY IT WHY WHOLE LIFE AND PASSED IT ONE TO BOTH MY SONS. If you learn one thing a day no matter how small it is. Look how much better and rounded person you'll become in your life time. A ACTIVE MINE IS A HEATHY MINE.
NEVER STOP FEEDING YOUR MINE.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfshead on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:24 am

This is great stuff!
I know that it is somewhat philosophical but it has it's purpose I think.

FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfshead on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 am

Crooketarrow
I think I gave you a "negative vote"?
I did not mean to I clicked on the plus/minus sign by mistake
I am sorry about that it was not intended just my misunderstanding of the tools of the site
I think your post is great and had I known i would have definately given it a plus
Again I apologize

FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:06 pm

The woods, and the game itself. I started hunting late in life,in my late 20's after being invited on a rabbit hunt by a friend. I was instantly hooked. With no one in my family being a hunter, and not knowing many who hunted at the time, I simply put my boots on the ground and took off running.

The fields,streams, and observation of them and the creatures they contain will go a long way towards making you successful, if you pay attention to what they tell you.

Read all you can on the subject, above all, trust your intuition in the field. We all have the instinct to hunt in us, and that intuition based on observation of the woods and game is usually that instinct pointing us in the right direction.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Publicbuck on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:33 pm

My father taught me quite a bit about waterfowl hunting but I have had to learn to hunt and trap other critters on my own. Nothing like personal failure and success as a teacher.

Publicbuck

Back to top Go down

Post by lastoftheloaners on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:00 pm

first thing i remember seeing when i crawled across the kitchen floor to the back porch and looked off was couple Ole hound dogs curled up under it . my dad was a hunter and i grew up following him and his hounds.

lastoftheloaners

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny52 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:19 pm

I had a grandfather as a mentor but he only handed me the equipment and the basics. He told me (and he was right) that nobody got good by being taught. He told me that a good teacher could only give you the basics and then a good student would use this to learn.
Cant say he was wrong because what I see anymore... a person would be a lifetime getting good if they followed all the so called common knowledge out there today. No

I took his advise and started challenging Theories. The theories were the first to fall away fastest in my education. So many beliefs based on theory were just plain wrong. The ones that I couldn't disprove I kept and built on.
The next were the beliefs. I tested them all as I came upon them. These fell faster than the theories!.

Grandpa was very big on reading and seemed to have everything available on any subject referring to the out of doors. I read everything and talked to everyone I met who was a hunter and this is where I got all my information at first.
Then came the internet!. The best and worst of both worlds where anyone could put their beliefs and practices up for public consumption.

It was only because of my background that I feel I ever got anything meaningful off the net.

Smaller forums like this have been the go to places anymore when I want to catch up on whats going on out there. I find these sites to be devoid of the more colorful characters out there Rolling Eyes

Tiny52
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by southernarcher on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:26 am

Trial and error. Very little hunting influence in my family, my gramps was a dog hunter. I went a couple of times with him on dog drives. As far back as I can remember I have been in love with the outdoors. I am the only counter in my family. When I started bowhunting I didn't know anyone who did it. It has been a long journey, full of lessons, some good some bad, but I have enjoyed every minute so far.

southernarcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:55 pm

reading bowhunter magazines early 70s - then much trial and ERROR LOL I don't know how we made it but somewhere we figured it out in a big way. No dad for support everyone fought us. They lost.Smile
<><
<---------------------<<<<<<<<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down