PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Best time to scout

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best time to scout

Post by Wolfshead on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:04 am

I know that everyone has their opinion on things and I would like to hear yours if you would like to share.
I am asking in preperation for next season as I am just beginning this quest as a tradbow hunter, and basically as a hunter for that matter.
When is the best time to scout?
I am refering to mostly whitetail deer, but will listen to elk, blacktail, etc...

FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Re: Best time to scout

Post by Waiting4Fall on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Deer- my favorite to scout is immediately after the season. If the snow is on, all the better. I do most of my scouting at that time. Throughout the Spring/Summer I will covertly fine tune spots.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:34 pm

I scout at anytime I have the chance. While I have spots picked out well ahead of time, and do a lot of scouting immediately after the season is over, the food source changes so radically from fall to winter to spring that if you have an early start to your season lots of those spots you scouted post season may not have any activity at all until the rut or late season.

The summer heat can beat you up, but scouting in it is the only way to find late summer feed patterns.

I'll also take time, even after the season is open, to perhaps trod a bit of new ground on a new area, or take a long round about way when I'm heading out from a morning hunt to slip through and see what kind of activity is happening over the next ridge, if the oaks are dropping good I may wind up there that evening.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:30 pm

I like scouting post season, early spring, mostly cause deer trails are easier to spot

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 pm

I like to scout in the post season right when the weather is starting to break for springtime. Deer seem to return to their bedding areas that they used during the fall at that time, and knowing where they are bedding during the daytime is the most important piece of the puzzle for me. I spot check different feeding areas before the season starts and if I find good sign in a feed area close to a bedding area that I found in the spring, then I know where to set up to get that deer going from bed to feed late in the afternoon.

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:07 am

I have a system I go and hunt by for the last 25 or 30 years scouting a main part of it. I only scout after season in the winter to gobbler season. Nothing really changes just crops in farm land. But unless the bucks killed if he's 3 1/2 or older they bed and travel to food scores. The same way's at the same times everyyear. ONLY 1 1/2'S AND 2 1/2'S HAVN'T FOUND THEIR OWN HOME RANGES YET. bUT ONCE THEY GET 3 1/2 OR OLDER THERE WHERE THEIR AT TO STAY. Unless something majorly changes with food or cover they don't move. Maybe some bucks a little durning the rut for a few days.
Also it's the only time I run cameras, off food piles just to see what made it. People just have to get pic's. of that buck at their stand site. EITHER TO REINSURE THEIRSELFS OR TO SHOW OFF THE PIC'S. TO FRIEND OR WHAT EVER. All your really doing is tipping of your bucks to your presence. Makeing it harder on yourselfs. Relie on your scouting and beleive in it.
I scout and set up all my sites in the winter. And leave it along to next season when the wind and times right I go hunt it. I don't finish hunting I DON'T AND WON'T go walk around afterwards to take a look. It's in and out WITH THE WIND and thats it.
By running camera and revisting your sites your just letting the bucks know sometings up. A unpressured bucks 10 times easyer to see IN THE DAY LIGHT AND HUNT than one that knows somethings up.
I here it all the time I always scout and run cameras all summer right through the season and I kill bucks. Thys why you here there's just not big bucks in my area. Hate to tell you but if you have deer you have MATURE BUCKS. Your just hunting them like you do DOE'S AND 1 1/2'S.
Thats also why you here I've only saw 1 0r 2 mature bucks in their life and you see people that have 1 or 2 mounts of mature bucks. Be cause thats all they ever had a chance at.
The no pressure aproach works. I have 4 selfbow mounts another 5 or 6 that could have been mounted 36 self bow kills. 7 GUN MOUNTS. Thats 13 mounts 27 skulls and 3 storage totes of antlers in all. I give winter scouting most of the creit. But people are taught to scout and hunt just like there dads,uncles and grandfathers did and do. Got to rememeber they killed any deer any time they could. So if all so want is to kill a deer do want your doing and keep scouting the way your doing and keep hunting those doe's and year and a hafes.
BUT YOU CAN'T HUNT MATURE BUCKS THAT WAY.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:07 am

Crook - how would you handle a 7-10 day out of state trip? Somewhere it's not feasible to make a winter scouting trip.

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Cbigbear wrote:Crook - how would you handle a 7-10 day out of state trip? Somewhere it's not feasible to make a winter scouting trip.

I dont see how that approach could work at all. Crook's approach has been mine the last 4 years, and overall it just hasnt worked too well. Maybe its because its different terrain and food sources than he has, but it just doesnt work, cause there patterns change too frequently. I have a new approach I'm going to try this year, and I cant say weather it works better or not because I havent tried it yet, but I will update after next season.Here it is in a nutshell: Hunt feed trees! thats right, find where they are feeding at the time and hunt it! I know it fly's against alot of approaches of scenting up a spot, but it has worked for many so we are going to give it a try this next season....

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 am

Piney I agree %100. The only winter scouting I do down here is to locate feed trees for the following year & possibly pick up a feed sheds. Feed tree hunting works really good in the South especially in areas that lack agri. I was preparing for a MO trip last year, which is why I asked the question to Crook. I made that trip last Nov & learn that if I make another one it will be scheduled much earlier in the year to take advantage of feed trees & feeding patterns. Rut hunting is too random for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella1962 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 pm

PineywoodsBow wrote:I like scouting post season, early spring, mostly cause deer trails are easier to spot
Unless you forget to map exactly where they are...and then when it greens up it all looks different and you can't find them! Sad 
I found incredible rub lines before the leaves came on. This year I'm going to document them a lot better.

oldfella1962

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top