PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Just about died

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just about died

Post by Kodiakk on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:49 am

Not litteraly, but got a good scare haha. Was walking out of the woods last Saturday after a morning hunt. Came up next to a little patch of pines a buck usually rubs on in previous years, and had a covey of quail come bursting up under my feet. Boy, my heart lept into my throat and I jumped back. Glad there was no witnesses to see my girlish actions.

After chuckling at myself I continued on and hit the path going out. All the sudden this big black thing jumped up next to the path and went running the other way. I jumped back agian and pulled my 10mm I carry. Realized it was a hog heading the other way into the thick brush. I haven't got a hog yet so I start running after her. I put my pistol away and took my bow off the back of my climber. The brush was about 5 and half foot tall and I could only see maybe 10 yards ahead of me. I saw the brush swaying infront of me where the big sow went through so I start after her. I then started hearing little "meep" sounds off to my right and saw the brush was swaying also. I then caught a glimpse of little football sized hogs with white stripes on their sides. I figured they were the ones making that small meep sound so I started trying to duplicate it hoping to draw mama back to me. All the sudden about 20 yards infront of me I see this huge black blop through the brush jump up and start heading horizontal to me. I started trying to make that meep sound agian then that big ole boar lets out with a loud deep ungodly sound. I used to deal with bears pretty often when I lived in Alaska, so I wasn't to incredibly worried about him, and started after them some more. Was pretty interesting trying to run after them to get shot in that thick of brush. Finally I gave up and headed towards the truck. I'd say that sow was right around 200LBS she was big. That freaking boar was huge. I'd say he ran over 300LBS. Was quite exciting!

Sorry for the long read, but I've only seen hogs one other time while hunting so was a cool experience for me. Thank God it wasn't O'darkthirty in the morning haha.

Kodiakk

Back to top Go down

Re: Just about died

Post by vortex1 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Walked up on some hogs last year after dark, very unnervig especially a sow with little pigs, them is some mean creatures. Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:31 pm

We are overrun with hogs down here in Texas but I have yet to come across one in the dark. I have heard some stories though.....

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 9 point on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Man i wish id see the hogs they say are in Ohio. I want them to run all over this state. It would be a blast.
9 point

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Be careful what you wish for! Once you have them you can't get rid of them!
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:38 pm

Did you scream like a girl? A guy at work screamed like a girl walking in one morning. When a friend checked on him it was just quail. We still pick at him.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 pm

I don't miss the hogs. I lived and hunted in Fl. for many yrs and on one piece of public property I'd ride a bike way back in on a no vehicle area..bikes or walk. I can't tell you the times I'd run through packs  of hogs going in before daylight and coming out after dark.

Even though you expect it..still scares the heck out of you when ones just off the trail or dim road and woofs, grunts, then busts out through the bushes when you ride by.

Also ran through a bunch of baby alligators one night and one reached his head up and snapped at my foot on the bike peddle.

Also nothing like a sow in heat and a pack of boar hogs fighting over her, squealing, grunting, woofing..and you got to go through them walking in the dark from your stand in palmettos higher than you head..don't miss hogs at all.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top