PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Modern or traditional?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Modern or traditional?

Post by msaskins on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:57 am

So, what do you primarily hunt with . . . Compound, recurve or longbow?
I shoot recurve and compound, but hunt primarily with the compound (Mathews DXT).
I can do OK with the stick, but I haven't gotten comfortable enough to shoot a live animal with it yet.
msaskins
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Re: Modern or traditional?

Post by Waiting4Fall on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:04 am

I am traditional only. I do some work with a guy named Rick Welch, & his custom bows are all I shoot. Having said that, My compound cousins are just extended bowhunting family.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tradkiller on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:32 pm

I sold all my compounds and am a recuve only shooting I wish I would have done this years ago thanks Mike

Tradkiller

Back to top Go down

Post by msaskins on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:21 pm

Dave Mullins wrote:I am traditional only. I do some work with a guy named Rick Welch, & his custom bows are all I shoot. Having said that, My compound cousins are just extended bowhunting family.

Is that the Dakota guy?
I think I've seen that website before. Nice looking stuff.
msaskins

Back to top Go down

Post by Widowmaker on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:59 pm

I mainly hunt with the compound but have started with Traditional back in 2007.I killed my 3erd deer this season with My Black Widow PSR Recurve.It's an amazing feeling to say the least.

Widowmaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulldog18 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:01 am

I hunt with a compound. I have longbows that I am still working on my groups and range. Would like to take a deer next season with the longbow.

Bulldog18

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:18 pm

msaskins wrote:
Dave Mullins wrote:I am traditional only. I do some work with a guy named Rick Welch, & his custom bows are all I shoot. Having said that, My compound cousins are just extended bowhunting family.

Is that the Dakota guy?
I think I've seen that website before. Nice looking stuff.

Yes Rick Welch owns DAKOTA BOWS. I built his website, forum, & youtube page. I also titled, cowrote, filmed, & coproduced this dvd. So THANK YOU. Smile
http://shop.dakotabows.com/product.sc;jsessionid=6AB58B9E01F516A4E68749007FF96740.qscstrfrnt03?productId=26&categoryId=2

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by g.sampey on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:21 am

Im a compound guy I shout a hoyt carbon element and love ever second when Im shotting it.

g.sampey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:59 pm

I currently shoot a compound. It an old 05 Hoyt Ultra Mag. I plan to get into traditional after this season & maybe next year I'll be carrying a trad bow.

Back to top Go down

Post by NavyDave on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:25 pm

I went all trad this year. Haven't taken a deer yet but probably could have all but taged out with my compound. makes it hard somedays but would't change a thing!

NavyDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Northwoodslayer on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:37 pm

I shoot both! I have a Jefferys takedown recurve drawing57# @ 28" and a 2011 BowTech Destroyer 350 drawing 65# There are 2 different disciplines and both are challenging and fun! I cannot say I enjoy shooting one more than the other.
I shoot my recurve instinctively, that is when my finger touch my anchor point, I have already picked my spot and the arrow is heading downrange. My compound I shoot wiht my teeth as I am a physically challenged archer and use a tooth tab to shoot my bow.

Back to top Go down

Post by blinginpse on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:26 am

im all compound. i tryed a recurve for about 10 shots at about 10-15 yards and i missed the bag the first 9. lol!

blinginpse

Back to top Go down

Post by msaskins on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Just bought a new recurve yesterday . . . Bow shop had a 45# PSE Blackhawk marked down and I couldn't resist.
I had wanted to get a stick bow next - I've always owned recurves but wanted to try something new.
I want one, but I just can't get past not having a shelf to shoot off of. I think nest season I'm going to do a little more traditional hunting since I'm having a ball hunting from the ground this winter.

Back to top Go down

Post by AK0tA on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Right now I am compound with my Hoyt AlphaMax 32, this was a big step up from my bear whitetail II that I shot for 20+ years with no sites and fingers. Looking to get into traditional as soon as funds get replenished. I love shooting with no sites as it feels more natural.
AK0tA

Back to top Go down

Post by aread on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:06 am

Compound for competition since I can shoot against some great archers here in Maryland.

But I hunt with my '72 Pearson Predator recurve. I've had the bow since '73, but didn't get into bow hunting until 7 years ago. Now the recurve is like going hunting with an old friend.

Allen
Maryland

aread

Back to top Go down

Post by Bowdady on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:32 am

Traditional only! Cool

Bowdady

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt. David Cunningham on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:29 am

Traditional only for me sold off all of my compound gear a few years ago and have never gone back. I do have to shoot more now but that keeps it fun .
Capt. David Cunningham

http://www.texasrodworks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BILL BROWNING on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:09 pm

Traditional only, mostly longbows 53-60 lbs I do own a couple of recurves(3 Brownings, a Colt firearms, and a 61 Kodiak that Maddog rebuilt for me and have built a few selfbows. I think Traditional is what archery is all about but do have and shoot with compound friends.

BILL BROWNING

Back to top Go down

Post by lechwe on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:32 pm

Switched to all traditional about 5 years ago and can't remember when I had so much fun.

lechwe

Back to top Go down

Post by grouseshooter002 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Trad only.

Grouse

grouseshooter002

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:15 pm

I hunt with a Martin Hunter recurve...haven't used a compound in 10 years or so.

Had to sell the Martin due to serious shoulder issues... bought a Bear Anarchy compound bow!

Last edited by NanookOdaNorth on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : shoulder injury)

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt. David Cunningham on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Here are a few that I did for this past season. I am currently shooting 60#@ 28" running a 611 gr easton xx75 w/suffers.[u]
Capt. David Cunningham

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt. David Cunningham on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Capt. David Cunningham

Back to top Go down

Post by Capt. David Cunningham on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 pm

One more srry still getting to know the format here.

Capt. David Cunningham

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm a compound shooter. I am currently shooting an '05 Bowtech Allegiance but just put a Mathews Monster MR6 on order. I have the utmost respect for you traditional shooters!
bowonly

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:39 am

Trad here. My go to is a Firefly take down longbow. I have killed deer this season with a Tree's Custom recurve and a Kohannah Fury Extreme longbow. If I shoot em good I hunt with em. My wife bought me an old Bear grizzly recurve for Christmas. I'll take that to the woods next year.
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 am

Trad only here. I do own and shoot both recurves and longbows but only hunt with Hill Style longbows. Currently shooting a 56# Northern Mist Classic, a 65# John Schulz Trophy Hunter and a 75# Howard Hill Crocodile.

Here is my Schulz:

The bow in my Avatar is the HH Crocodile

I do have a nice Hoyt Compound I am selling soon, might post in Classifieds here. Awesome shooting bow, just have no interest in it anymore.
BowhunterGA

http://www.simplytraditional.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Northwoodslayer on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:02 am

I love shooting my bows. I have learned over the years to keep things simple. While I have a new (2011) BowTech Destroyer I just have a simple sight (Spot Hogg Hunter) rest, (Bodoodle Timberdoodle) and black Doinker stabilizer. My recurve is a Jefferies Royal Mag hunter drawing 57#@28". I have ofter said I will put down the compound after I have mastered it. Well, I still haven't done that and I am having a ball shooting my recurve so I will continue to shoot both.

Back to top Go down

Post by beaunaro on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:16 pm

I shoot both compound (Mathews DXT) and trad bows. I have taken the Rick Welch classes and he is a great instructor. there a re lots of ways to shoot a trad bow, but his methods make sense and work sor me. I now own one of his Dakota recurves, a beautiful bow and a good shooter as well. I also have a RER longbow I like quite a bit. Kevin TerMaat from Merrill, Wisconsin builds an awesome bow.

I like shooting both the compound and the trad bows. I am not quite good enough yet to try to kill a deer with the stickbow, but I am all over the hogs with one. The hog is archery's best animal and perfect for a stickbow.

beaunaro

Back to top Go down

Post by ArcherAdam on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I am shooting an Elite Pure now. I did acquire a recurve and plan to get into traditional archery.

ArcherAdam

Back to top Go down

Post by perun on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:41 pm

hi guys , i shoot with hybrid longbow
i started in spring 2011 , i don't have luck yet but I'm sneaking with hope :-)
Attachments
1325711154-picsay.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(66 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
perun

http://bowsbymojovic.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:11 am

Never been anything but traditional. Currently shooting a Martin Dreamcatcher but, I'm predominately a longbow guy. Will be placing me an order for a new Two Tracks Longwalker longbow soon and hoping to christen it this upcoming 2012 season.

TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by Marylandbowhunter on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 am

This season I have hunted with compound, recurve and crossbow
of course I hunted most of the season with my Hoyt maxxis 35 killed 5 deer, I killed 2 deer with the crossbow that I bought for my son ( he is Cool but I just had to take it for a test drive. The more that I have been shooting my Hoyt dorado the more I'm leaning on just hunting with that next season. I hope to kill a deer with it before the end of the season.

Marylandbowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marylandbowhunter on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:54 pm

The good thing is when I first started to shoot bows. I started off with a recurve. Then when I started to bow hunt I hunted with a compound bare bow. I killed a few deer that way. I had since went to sights. But now since I got the recurve it has brought back a new type of fun.

Marylandbowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by LHcustomarchery on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:56 am

I hunt Traditional only. I shoot my own custom recurves or longbows just what ever I feel like at the time

LHcustomarchery

http://www.lhcustomarchery.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jshperdue on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:03 am

Had a longbow and loved it but wasn't as confident as when shooting my compound. Just recently sold both my compounds and am going to dedicate myself too trad only. I am pretty sure I overbowed myself the 1st go around with traditional archery. Im now shooting only 50lbs and shoot alot better.

jshperdue

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustyhunts on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:32 am

Have two recurves and three compound but so far only hunt with compounds.

Dustyhunts

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:17 pm

I hunted with compound bow for many years, over 20, and in those years I took a lot of whitetails with the compound. I switched to traditional slowly over the course of about 2 years shooting recurves and the compound. About 5 years ago I made the commitment to shot only traditional bows but still took my handguns out now and then. Then something happened a little over a year ago. I tried a Hill style longbow and truly fell in love with Archery. Last fall was my first TOTAL bow only season and I only hunted with a longbow. Today I own 4 Hill Style longbows from 60# to 102# all at 28", but my primary bow is a 70" Northern Mist Classic that pulls 83@28. I have 2 new bows on order at the moment. Both are to be in the 75-80# range as this seems to be my most effective weight range. One is a second Northern Mist, the other is a Hill Style longbow from Jay St. Charles. (The son of Glenn St. Charles.

Since switching to longbows I have also sold all other bows that I owned, my compound and my recurves. One day I may own another recurve, but I know I will never shoot another compound. Just doesn't appeal to me any more.

Simply Traditional
BowhunterGA

http://www.simplytraditional.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Magicman on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:25 am

Both here! I've been trad only for the last 6 yrs but started dabbling back with compound just because!! I like shooting both but still 90% trad!

Magicman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Spikes on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:00 pm

Traditional. Mainly recurves up until last season. Had a custom longbow built (Centaur) and received it around the end of September. Been shooting it ever since.

Chris Spikes

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:29 am

Ive hunted mostly with a compound and i like it, but this past year i bought a recuve and have been getin pretty good with it( been shootin it twice a day for six months) im comfy out to 30 yrds or so. but i DO NOT want to shoot that far. Think ill fry up some does bout october with my wheel bow then kick back with that recurve and see what i can do with it. ima try to kill at least one deer with it this year, only thing is i get nervous just thinkin about takin that recurve in tha woods guess ill have to conquer that fear:) Also missed a doe with it last year. I was proud just to miss a deer with a recurve, took all my courage just to take it to tha woods:) but ive changed my set up and have been practicing ALOTTTT so maybe, lord willin, tha outcome will be different this year. BTW, it is a Quinn stallion 50@28 with 500 spine beman hunters tipped with 165grn simmons landsharks ( thinkin bout usin interceptors this year though) Smile
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by TN hunter on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:00 am

I shoot a compound. Mission venture 27dl at 70lbs. I'm just starting though its my second deer season coming up. Who knows what the future holds as far as traditional.
TN hunter
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 pm

I started out bow hunting with a recurve at about 8 or 9 untill I was 13. I killed a couple doe's but when I was 11 I kill my first bow buck a 8 point from then on it was on.
Compounds had only been on the seen a couple years and might have been call pritive by todays bows. I thought at the time I was up gradeing. I got a old wood riserer Darten and 11 years I'd up graded a dozzen times I ended with a I had a SREAMING EAGLE HC 600 top of the line then. I had up my buck kill to 6 more with a slew of doe's.
There was something missing. I don't really mean it was to easy like with a rifle. Just not the same as you doing it all YOURSELF. YOU HAVE TO SHOOT A BARE BOW TO UNDERSTAND.
I switched back to a HOTT TAKE DOWN and used it for anothe 5 years. All my hard core compound friends thought I had lost it. 5 years later and 7 more bucks I start get a freind here and there. I wanted a coustom long bow but did'nt have 5 or $ 600.00 dollors at the time. A big price then for any bow.
I was at 7-11 STORE and saw the first issue of PRIMITIVE ARCHERY. IT WAS ON AGAIN.
I did'nt have the money at the time for a custom bow I'd just make my own SOMEONE MADE THAT COUSTOM BOW DID'NT THEY. I bought 2 BL fence postS off a farmer I hunted on. HE JUST LAUGHED but I made my first bow. I only had boy scout pamlet BUILD A INDAIN BOW 1958.
SO MY FIRST BOW WAS A SINEW BACKED BOW. No the way to start out.I killed a 5 point that fall That was over 22 or 23 years ago.I'VE BEEN BUILDINMG AND HUNTING (36 BUCKS AND 15 GOBBLERS) WITH SELF BOWS EVER SINCE. My friends thought I had lost it even more. You have to remember in 88 or 89 when I started I can't remember TRADITIONAL OR exspecially PRIMITIVE ARCHERY wasn't even heard of. Some of my bow hunting friends if it had'nt been for me they'd never would have seen a traditional much less a primitie bow. Nothing like it is now, the internet has caused our sport to go leps and bounds ahead of it's time.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny52 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Honestly I hunt with both... I did at least. Really hurt my shoulder htis year with a longbow that stacked way to much. Looks like it's gonna be the compound for the whole season this year

Tiny52
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I started out with a recurve about 40 years ago then moved to compound well they came out. I shoot a 70# Martin Cougar Magnum that I love. I picked up a Bear Grizzly recurve this past spring and love it. I have been practicing with it since I got it. I'm doing very well up to 25 yards so I'm only hunting with my recurve this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Whispers Death on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 am

I started bow hunting in 1981 with a PSE Phaser compound, then a PSE Fire Flite, then a PSE Magna Flite, then a Hoyt Super Slam, then a Hoyt Pro Vantage, then a PSE XLR 900, all of these shot with sights and finger tabwith 29 inch 2317s and a 179 grain 2 blade zwickeys or magnus heads. The Superslam was a 90 lb. bow and Pro-Vantage was 80 lbs. In 2003 I bought a short Parker 33" and started shooting a release. Now I have a Hoyt Trykon That I have shot since '06. During these 31 years, I have also owned a Jeffery Royal Hunter TD, a Jeffery one piece recurve, a Martin Hatfield TD, an Osage orange long bow, a Martin Savannah long bow and a Rivers Edge Retro recurve. I killed my first deer with the Martin Savannah 2 years ago. I hunt both traditional and recurve. I worked at an archery shop for 4 years during college and worked on enough compounds to last me the rest of my life.

Whispers Death

Whispers Death
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 9 point on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Shot for BowTech for 5 or six years. Two years ago sold all seven of mine and got bit by the trad bug. I love my Bama Longbows.
9 point

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:41 pm

I can't wait to start learning instinctive shooting on a recurve hopefully this coming year. Does learning instinctive shooting help you learn yardage more or are you not even supposed to try to estimate that?
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by UrbanArcher1975 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:04 am

I sold my last compound a couple years ago. Only traditional LONGBOW (yeah, no recurve... hey, if it's good enough for Howard Hill, it's good enough for me) for now. I was lucky, when I first got into archery when I was younger, the older gentleman who tutored me taught me instinctive shooting. So though I used sights on one of my compound bows, I didn't on the other. So the longbow was no big deal to learn. I tried to use split vision sighting like HH, but I just can't seem to do it... just have to rely on instinctive.
Traditional just seems more ..... I guess PURE would be the word. I like to make the hunt just that, a HUNT, not a shot opportunity... so 90% of the time I stalk or still hunt. I haven't been in a tree stand in a loooong time. As Fred Bear said "A downed animal is certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the other pleasures of the hunt".

UrbanArcher1975

Back to top Go down

Post by stickbndr on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Traditional only. The compound had its place for a few years while shooting 3d (even then after each shoot I went home and broke out the recurve). Gave all the wheels away years ago.

stickbndr
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top