PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Late season food sources - thoughts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Late season food sources - thoughts?

Post by BowhunterGA on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Looking for ideas for late season food sources on public land. (No food plots, no real agriculture nearby) With only a few weeks scattered here and there on local WMAs I am trying to key in on food sources and just wanted to see what your thoughts are. I have been doing some mid day low impact scouting and here is what I have found.

White Oak and Red Oak acorns are either gone or starting to rot. Pretty much it for Oaks where I am hunting.

Japanese honeysuckle in stands of pines seem to be getting some action but these areas are really hard to hunt. I have a few natural blinds I can hunt these areas in but it is really hard and the wind has to be the right direction and steady. Something I am often not afforded is a steady wind.

Where not killed by frost there is also some briars and other plant life that I have seen deer eat at times but never consistently enough to target as a food source.

There are some hunting clubs that border the WMA and I am sure they have food plots but I have no intention of trespassing to try and locate them so what am I missing? What have you found to key in on in the late season as a food source?

Simply Traditional
BowhunterGA
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.simplytraditional.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Late season food sources - thoughts?

Post by PineywoodsBow on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:37 pm

WE dont have food plots or agricultural fields on the WMA's here in Texas, so its hard to pin point food sources...

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Same here, that is why I stated that focusing on food plots were not an option. IMHO Food Plots are no different than baiting if you are hunting over a food plot.

Simply Traditional
BowhunterGA

http://www.simplytraditional.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:38 am

I guess it is the same, just BIGGER baiting area.

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxerjake77 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 pm

I still got tons of acorns in my area. Seems like the deer would rather eat the tips off all the briars as I see them all eaten off, and acorns still on the ground.

Boxerjake77

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Boxerjake77 wrote:I still got tons of acorns in my area. Seems like the deer would rather eat the tips off all the briars as I see them all eaten off, and acorns still on the ground.

I bet the Acorns have already soured.

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxerjake77 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:55 am

That might me true, but they look good to me. I'm not gonna eat one to find out either...

Boxerjake77

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 pm

You maybe able to locate adjacent property food plots by studying aerials. Other than that deer will browse on just about anything you just have to find what they like in your particular area.

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Where I plan to hunt there are no food sources other than browse either. Gonna be tough but the plan is to get on heavy trails that come up and down the mountain for dawns/dusks.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:50 pm

on my two main public areas deer switch to green fields by about Dec 1st. This means mountain deer moving to gas wells and recovered strips mines in WV. Here in NC we have wild public areas where the deer use horse pasture green fields at night and live in the public woods during the day. Every deer that I have taken in Dec had a belly full of green feed. Honey suckle in pine thickets are great - they are even better if you fertilize them

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:20 pm

I'd poke around those hunt clubs. Not trespassing mind you, but work the borders, find the sign that lets you know where they travel back and forth.

You could probably save a lot of time by skipping over open hardwoods, and check areas along the border that are thicker and serve as bedding. Find good fresh droppings in the bedding areas, from there it's simply a matter of picking a trail with consistent fresh track.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ripforce on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:27 am

Hi I am from Northern Michigan, new to the forum, we just got blasted with a major storm, about 10in of heavy snow gonna make bow hunting real tough for the rest of December! Our deer will move to the cedar swamp areas now where there is cover and browse, hunting the edges of these areas you will usually see deer, real hard hunting with the longbow though! Baiting is legal here in michigan so anyone that throws out any type of bait will have deer around them at all times of day! I know of 2 very large bucks that have been shot by muzzleloader hunters over bait piles, one scored over 180, very non-typical for a deer up here! both these deer were on several game cams all fall but never during daylight hours! It seems the post rut bucks are looking for food! Kind of sad to me that they made this far only to be shot over bait! I have mixed reservations about it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Froo1173 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Will deer eat horsetail? Growing pretty thick by a creek I hunt by, but does not look like they have messed with it right now. But maybe in a few weeks they would be down to whatever they can find.
Froo1173

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 am

I look for thick patches of Green Briar and Black Locust pods on the ground when I hunt the deep woods. What few acorns were around here this yr have been gone.

Most are going to a cut corn field behind my house and I try to get in spots far enough back that I can catch them in the daylight coming and going.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Do ya'll have any areas of cut-over, clear cuts or select cuts? Areas where timber has been harvested are in my opinion better than green fields. They provide new growth with the tree canopy being removed, and once they're a couple of years old they also provide cover.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum