PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

arrow building

View previous topic View next topic Go down

arrow building

Post by bowmad100 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:57 am

I'm rethinking my arrow for next year. i been looking for a new set up. ok first i have a short draw 26.5in so speed is not going to be a big thing. i have seen a few thing out there i have never seen before in my 30ish yr of shooting bow. well is it true on 10gr per 10lb of draw lb. if so i been mis lead of a long time. wait forward i getting both side good and bad. next 2 blade or 3 blade. im a muzzy man i have got more deer with them then any other brodhead i have shot.

now my bow is a fred bear instince set at 64.5lb and 26.5in draw.
my arrows now are 2117 easton xx75 at 12.1gr per in. 100gr muzzy at the end 2in blaser vans

im looking for kendic energy the most i can get. so any help is a help thank
bowmad100

http://www.youtube.com/user/bowmad100?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Re: arrow building

Post by southernarcher on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:27 pm

KE is pretty much weight x speed.
With what you will reach a point where arrow weight increase x arrow speed decrease will actually flatline, and decrease KE.
I shoot 10gpp with my longbow, but back in the compound days 8gpp was plenty. I have noticed on Alot of hunting videos the lack of pass throughs lately. This is more than likely a product of the speed craze. Light little arrows are fast, but don't penetrate well.

southernarcher

Back to top Go down

Post by bowmad100 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:53 am

thank of the info i was on the speed craze for a bite but my short draw held me back so on to something new
bowmad100

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:08 pm

bowmad100 wrote:[...] well is it true on 10gr per 10lb of draw lb. if so i been mis lead of a long time. .. now my bow is a fred bear instince set at 64.5lb and 26.5in draw.
my arrows now are 2117 easton xx75 at 12.1gr per in. 100gr muzzy at the end 2in blaser vans.....

Well I have heard of it, but it this were true then your arrows are too heavy and you would see it doing a sorta fish-tail-flip. Meaning that your point is way lighter than your actual arrow.

the total comes to 745g(+/-) - 100gr for the point = 645 just for the arrow. When u release is when you should see the fish-tail-flipping. because you are pushing the arrow more than the point.....

hope this helps.
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bowmad100 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:12 am

i have not done any thing with it. im just looking for help and ideas to get more KE if i go that way i will be using a 150 gr or bigger bradhead right now im at 465 gr arrow
bowmad100

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:17 am

I think you miss-understood me. My calculations given are based on the 10g per 10# draw. Like I said that if this were true....

Your arrow weight should be about 442g(+/-)
[Easton Gamegetter XX75 '2117' 12g/per Inch: 28" [common to add 1" to arrow length for shelf clearance] x 12g = 336g + 100g point = 436g plus whatever your vanes weigh/ 0.50" = 6g would bring your current arrows to 442g(+/- vane weight, hopefully your vanes do not weight 23g's] ----this is the common calculation used to determine arrow weight per competition bows which would be the same calculations used for all compound bows.

I am doing this on the premiss that you are using a compound bow since trad bows cannot really be determined in half-pounds draw weight.

hope this helps...
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bowmad100 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:43 pm

no i see what your saying that would be told wait with broadhead and all. sorry i got to look at thing when im fully wake. so my told will be 650 gr. but with my short draw im not sure if the speed will be there to give me a good outcome. what i got now work but i like playing with my bow comb
bowmad100

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top