PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

scouting now, will they be there come next fall too?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

scouting now, will they be there come next fall too?

Post by redshaft on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:27 pm

If i go out now and walk areas and find beds and trails and heavy tracks in the snow what are the odds that those places will still hold deer in the fall? after my again pathetic season. im trying to scout while theres snow down to find where deer are. i was out yesterday and today. one area i walked for miles and only found like 5 sets of tracks. obviously they dont want to be there. but can i feel confident that areas with sign will be hunt-able come next fall? i want to try and stay away from having to scout in season all the time. or just prior to the season. rather just do it now and mark areas to concentrate on.

Back to top Go down

Re: scouting now, will they be there come next fall too?

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 pm

I scout late winter to find sheds and tracks in the snow myself. It is a great time to find their bedding and natural foraging however in the fall food sources are different than now. However I find them moving along the same food locations scraping for whatever is leftover under the snow. You'll still want to know what foods are abundant in the Fall when it comes, each year varies with different crop/nuts.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:03 am

Keep in mind that deer movement can be a little slower this time of the year, especially if there is a lot of snow. Deer are aware that the food supply will be limited by snow cover, and try to conserve energy by not moving.

PBG is correct too about the different food sources.They are different in the late season. You'll still have to scout for early season patterns next summer before the opener.

But finding good thick bedding areas this time of year that have been all rubbed up and still have fresh track and droppings can clue you to a bucks sanctuary, and you can pattern his travel to and from feed next summer without having to leave your scent all around in his core area.

You can also find lots of rut sign, that can clue you where to be during next years rut, and where you find sign now, well, after all the pressure, you can bet that's where they feel safest. Good places to set up next fall when the pressure gets heavy and lots of guys are hunting.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:52 am

Use a trail cam.
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 am

we do our serious scouting in Dec & Jan with a follow up late Feb for sheds - always all properties we work on. As it relates to rut hunting or Nov 1st thru 20th the story is on the ground for you now. I do not focus on deer directly instead focusing on rubs scrapes and thick cover. I expect deer to do things differently now and move at least some changing food sources. For example we are scouting in the WV Bow Zone this January and February - then again in May. Then we are done until the season starts.
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum