PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Has anyone started scouting yet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone started scouting yet?

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:23 am

I have been shooting a lot here lately and ready to start getting after some scouting. I was wondering if it would be worth it to go out now? I have a few buddies that hunt private land and have already started getting pics of some nice bucks. I might need to dust my cams off and get ready to sweat.
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone started scouting yet?

Post by Waiting4Fall on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:31 am

Everyone is different. I did my main scouting back in Jan, Feb, & March. Then I pretty much try to stay out of the woods til it's hunting season. The more one's in the woods, the more educated the animals get.

That's a great tactic to let the game cams do the scouting for ya. Check em maybe once a month. Just my approach, others will chime in on how they do it.

Share your pics, and let us know how it goes.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:47 pm

Like Dave, I did the bulk of the legwork after Christmas and up until the end of March...fine tuning my stand locations will happen after the deer sneak by outta range! They are already a little smarter than me, can't let 'em know where my stands are before season starts!!! Very Happy 

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skunkworkx on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Been getting a lot of pics on the trail cams....nothing big yet Sad

Skunkworkx

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Well I wish I would have done my scouting right after season instead of in the 100+ degree weather here in Texas and Oklahoma. Will the deer not change pattern from February until October?

I have been hunting this particular area of public land for about 5-6 years and still have a lot to learn from it. I've been using maps and trail cams as best I can that way I'm not walking around aimlessly which sometimes happens anyway.
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Another reason these gents scout right after the season is that all the rut sign, scrapes, rubs trails are still visible. Which all were made during intense hunting pressure. From my experience, yes deer will change patterns from February to October, but not terribly far. As soon as the hunting pressure returns, the deer go to where they feel safe, normally where the sign was was found after the season. If I were you and wanted to go scouting now, keep the wind in your face, be careful to not disrupt the areas. I like walking before a rain front comes in.

Back to top Go down

Post by minnesota_muley on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 pm

I did the bulk of my scouting January and February. Everything is really visible - trails, rubs, scrapes, and you can tell where the oaks are and things like that. Plus its a great time to be in the woods. I also did quite a bit of scouting while I was turkey hunting. I turkey hunted places I had scouted earlier. I used this time to narrow down specific trees and mark them on my GPS to use my climber on in the fall.

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 pm

I got 3 of my cameras out and plan on checking them within another week or two. I've had them out for a week already and would like to let them sit out for at least 3 weeks. Hard to do when all of my buddies are sending me pics of bucks they are getting!
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:26 pm

Your friends are lucky. I just put out a few cameras, all we saw got over the week were fawns, does, and a spike. Don't know if it's this heat wave or what, we got lots of bucks last year about this time. Anyways, I'm getting the itch to go check some crop fields and bedding areas, find a few shooting lanes and pick a few trees! Hope this heat breaks soon, don't know if I want to rush out in 100+ degrees!

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top