PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

OK need Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OK need Help

Post by TBurgee on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:25 am

I have been searching and searching for a decent used left handed recurve bow for weeks now. I honestly can't afford to pay much more than $200 - $250 which is making my pickings VERY VERY slim. if you had only that amount, and wanted to get a recurve for bowfishing, and deer hunting - what would you choose?

I have a compound bow and love it, but really really want to try recurve shooting. my dad had one before he passed away and sadly in the horde of vultures that swarmed his home afterwards it disappeared. let me know please. and thank you.

TBurgee

Back to top Go down

Re: OK need Help

Post by tpcowfish on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:51 pm

I would look at different trad sites classifieds, for a good used bow, if buying new , try an shoot before purchase, goodluck

tpcowfish
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakespit on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:24 am

I have bid on and won several nice recurves and long bows on E-Bay ,$200/$250 will get you some very good bows,but you have to know a little bit about recurves and long bows,I will offer one bit of advice if you have not shot a traditional bow don't get a high poundage bow, for fishing a 40# or 45# bow would be plenty of bow to take fish with. If you have any questions there are plenty of people on this sight that can help you.

Snakespit

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 am

Look into a Samick bow. They are very affordable and are in your price range for a new bow. The Sage Recurve is continually getting good reviews.

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com/t2637-my-samick-sage-sbd-string
heydeerman
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by TBurgee on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:56 am

indeed I will, I am actually getting ready to get probably a samick sage - another question tho... every where I read says dont buy a 55# bow if you're not used to shooting one (I shoot a 55lb compund but understand there is a difference) I woud like to eventually use it for deer hunting, as well.

even at $70 extra limbs for the sage are typically out of my price range - would you buy a 40# bow, and just limit the distance yo shoot at game (whitetails) or go with a 50#+ and practice in short sessions until used to the weight?

TBurgee

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:30 am

This comes from my personal experience...I was told by everybody that was helping me to get into trad to get something 40-45 pounds to start. I shot a 70 pound compound so I thought I would shoot 60 pounds. I could shoot it but it actually set me back in developing my form. I shot 60 -80 (mostly 65) pounds for years struggling. I then hit a deer on a motorcycle and broke my left shoulder. I had to work up from a 15 pound kids bow. I eventually worked up to the 60's again but noticed that my form and shooting was not as good. When I went back to 45-50 I was able to maintain my form and have consistent shooting. Because of my injury to my shoulder the 70-80 pound bows will never be in my future. The heaviest bow I have now is 53 pounds the lightest is 45.

The learning curve is the same for everyone and if I would ave listened I would have probably progressed faster and better. Believe me an arrow shot accurately out of a 40 pound bow will kill a deer at 15-20 yards. I would go with a 40-45 pound bow at your draw length and shoot it for one whole year before deciding to move up. Think about it this way....Get a Sage at 40 and decide to shoot it for a year. Save $5 a month for that year. If you decide you want new limbs at the end of that year you'll have your money for a set of 50 pound limbs.
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum