PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Samick Sage Takedown Recurve, Recommend?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Samick Sage Takedown Recurve, Recommend?

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

Ok, I am crossing over to the Traditional side. Tight budget, beginner hoping to learn instinctive. Travel in NYC trains/buses so need a takedown to be convenient. Just wanted to check with my traditional hunting brothers before I pull the trigger.

I need to recheck what my draw length is, but lets just say it was 30". Does that mean I can't get a 28" bow or does that mean if I pull back to 30" I get more poundage is all? Total Newb I Know!
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Samick Sage Takedown Recurve, Recommend?

Post by Waiting4Fall on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Standard draw wt measurement is at 28 inches. When you get into custom bows, you can get a specific weight at your exact draw length.

You are correct 45 @ 28 will be closer to 48ish @ 30. Whatever draw weight you can COMFORTABLY hold for 2-3 seconds at ROCK SOLID FULL DRAW, is what you should use.

When you measure your draw length, check it 3 times, and mark it each time. I'm really simplifying this, but put your thumb knuckle right behind the cartilage of the bottom of the earlobe.

Don't go over 40 pounds, if that's legal to hunt with. Learning proper form is EVERYTHING. I can't stress enough how critical setting up the bow & arrows exactly to you, in the beginning is.

Just fyi bare shaft tuning is completely unnecessary, unless you just want to do it. I say that because we don't hunt with bare shafts, we hunt with finished arrows. To each his own.

You will gets lots of different advice, find what works best for you. Just trying to be helpful. All the best my friend- Dave

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:19 am

Thanks for the info Dave. Going to go to my local pro shop. I got measured a while back but completely forgot it.

Nice thing about this bow is I can buy 35 pounds now and upgrade the limbs cheaply later and still probably be under $200!

I'm not Diesel like you or go to the gym, but I always had good shoulder strength in baseball. I guess I just need to try out a few recurve bows at different pounds and see what I'm capable of. Wouldn't hurt to start at 35 and learn. My wifey loves hunger games so I bet she would want to shoot as well lol.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 am

All good bro. By the way, I shoot/hunt with 45 pounds!  Wink 

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:59 am

I got the Samick Sage Takedown. Shot it for the first time today. Wow, what a feeling. What a difference. What a revolution lol. I love instinctive shooting!!!

Started at 20 yards, hit paper but all over the place also. Sneaked my way into the 10 yard rental area and worked on form. At least, what I've been reading and seeing about form. Wish there was in instinctive school here in new york. can't make a big trip out of state to Rick's place.

I ended up getting 40 lbs. I know I know, maybe too much for some to think of starting but I pull it back no issue at all. No shaking or getting tired. Easy pull for me. I got good shoulder strength. Spent years developing the "little" muscles in the shoulders for pitching.

Loving it! Can't wait to go back but its an annoying 1 hour, 2 bus ride.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Good deal man! If 40 feels good to you, then that's great! Strength is relative.

See if there's anything useful for you, in my vid.

If instinctive is what you want to learn, this DVD will help you.
http://shop.dakotabows.com/product.sc;jsessionid=CF4D2D304CE468ABE7A50112B7D13B59.m1plqscsfapp04?productId=26&categoryId=2

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks Dave, Saw it. Btw what arrows are those? I liek the fact that so much of the top is bright flourescent rather than just the arrow. My shop set me up with Easton 2018 Camo Hunters.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:09 pm

Gold Tip carbon 500's. I put them together.
Here's your arrow making lesson.  study 

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Great to see someone getting started and getting good help. Dave is the real deal:) I shot a compound instinctive this season and got frostnip damage on my finger tips. I will shoot release compound in the cold and hopefully trad on the warmer days. anyone have solutions for shotting instinctive in single digits and sub zero weather I am all ears. Happy shooting!
Spauldo
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:25 pm

greetings ALL,

well hello Bro.Dave!!

I just recently got the Red Stag:
rh 55#@28, 60" / using the laser fast-flight with a doubl tied cat whiskers set @ 9" and at 11" from the string notch groove.
Nock point set at 3/8" above the shelf/ one over two under finger release

I set it to standard 55/28 with a brace @ 7- 1/8" ; I adjusted the brace to 7 -3/16th and am getting 56.25# @28"[digital scale]

my standard yardage is between 30-45 yrds. "stick'um while they are standin'!!"

my draw is just under 30" / with this set up I am getting 59.75# at full draw....kewl!! man.

It pulls sweet and sounds smoooooth....

Great vid Bro.Dave......c u in the tree's - it's a comin'.....

MTD2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BAMA HAMMA on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:48 am

AWESOME REVIEWS! Is there a traditional shop near mobile Al

BAMA HAMMA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top