PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

how can I....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

how can I....

Post by TBurgee on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:36 am

apart from waiting for the season to start, tromping through the woods, and irritating other hunters... how can I find out the hunting pressure a certain area has?

i live near st. louis, and the largest continuous tract of hunting land is just over 1000 acres. being close to st. louis the area is cut through with walking trails, but archery deer hunting is open during season obviously. i've walked a lot of the area, and there are some signs of quite a few deer there, but i've not been there when season is open, so have no clue the pressure. Also with trails cut though the entire area, is walking all the way back to the back beneficial? since the trails allow anyone to do so?

I've contacted the MDC agent, several times, he has yet to return my calls. public forums, people are tight lipped about there hunting spots. so looking for tips on how to determine hunting pressure.

TBurgee

Back to top Go down

Re: how can I....

Post by Miller-TD#2 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:42 pm

look for beer cans, candy wrappers, just trash in general. parking lots near trailheads that seem to have a sudden burst of "hunting" trucks...

look for surveyors tape that leads to nowhere -

we once followed a line of tape that lead to nowhere, after careful looking around we found a tree that had climber scars on it....
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm

I've had good luck contacting the area's head biologist. Any public close to major cities will have pressure. If the deer sign is there hunt it if not move on.

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

I wouldn't worry with overall pressure so much. I've hunted places overrun with hunters, and taken deer.If there is good sign, the deer are there, even if there are many others hunting therm. The trick, even with heavy pressure,is to determine where the others are not hunting, that's where the deer will hole up.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TBurgee on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:06 am

thanks for your replies.. i appreciate it. been doing lotsa leg work, but seems like every nook and cranny around st. louis is being hunted..... and apparently hunted by litterbugs! i carried a whole bag of trash out of the woods the other day.

TBurgee

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Good for you, a good sportsman cleans up after himself in the woods, but a GREAT sportsman cleans up after the ones who abuse nature. The good lord will eventually reward you for taking care of his earth.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by cityhunter on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:00 am

Some pressured areas are less about hunting deer and more about hunting around other hunters. Learn escape routes and find trails in the thicker stuff. A lot of other hunters like to hunt spots where they can see far. Hunt an area where a cpl trails intersect in cover and u can see movement all day.

cityhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:39 am

What the man above me said. Most hunters want to see along ways. Also you may not have to walk far. A couple of my bucks have been shot within 150 yards of my truck. People think they have to walk far because they either didn't scout or they listen to people on other forums that hunt private land and have no clue.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:23 pm

I too have seen multiple nice bucks very close to my truck. I've also seen a lot of bucks very close to the paved roads. So many guys try to "drive in farther than everyone else" down hundreds of miles of two-tracks when you really don't always have to.
 I think of pave roads sort of like water ways. I look for spots where the paved road makes a "C" or "S" shaped curve, then I hunt the woods inside those big curves. Seems like the bucks like to bed in those areas, similar to how they will at a riverbend.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum