PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Working Out, Bodybuilding & Fitness in Relationship to Bowhunting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Working Out, Bodybuilding & Fitness in Relationship to Bowhunting

Post by madeforthewoods on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm a big muscular dude, I'm about 5'11", 245lbs and low body fat. I work out about 5 days a week and consume a lot of food to stay bulky and strong. One thing that kinda stinks about it is when I have to hike back into the woods quite a ways, or use my climber, I tend to get very hot. So hot to the point of sweating. Obviously this can be an issue. Mr. Dave Mullins, I know you're a big guy, obviously you probably lift weights and such. So my question is, to Dave and anyone else who may be a bodybuilder type, what tricks do you use to get miles into the woods without sweating to death? I mean, am I supposed to hike out there in my swim trunks and then get dressed? Or has anyone tried one of those personal cooling things?
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Working Out, Bodybuilding & Fitness in Relationship to Bowhunting

Post by Saxton on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:27 am

I workout religiously and in very good shape; I am not as big as you (5'10", 185). I still get sweaty going in packing; climber, clothes, gear ect.  I wear as little as possible, even when it is COLD.  I pack insulated bibs to put on at the base of the tree.

This helps a lot, but it is still a pain.  That is the main reason that this year I am hunting from the ground.  I bought a Bowhunting Ghillie suit, the hammock chair and a back pack to carry it all.  I get to my spot, connect the seat, put on the suit and I am hunting.  I got the suit from Camo advantage.

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 am

Nice! I do the same, I walk in wearing basically a camo T-shirt or tank and even shorts at times. I backpack in my outer layers. One thing I've noticed that helps too is if I cut back on my energy drinks and saly intake. I won't sweat as much.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Good info guys. Wonder what yall think about wearing tennis shoes to hunt in? My muck boots get hot quick during early season walks to the stand. Any of yall try this?
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:54 pm

I do/have used tenis shoes for hunting but only when I'm stalking deer so I can walk stealthy & quiet. And the tennis shoes I use are camo ones I bought new and are stored outside on my porch and have never been used for anything but stalking. Meaning they have never touched anything except the forest floor, never worn anyplace else ever.

As far as for typical stand, ground, still or stationary hunting, I ALWAYS wear a rubber style boot to contain the scent of my feet as to not leave a scent trail. I have 3 different pairs I wear depending on the temperature. I have some non-insulated ones for warmer weather, some 400 gram ones for cool weather and some 1000 gram ones for really cold weather.

If your feet are hot, try uninsulated boots, and another thing is wear thin 100% cotton socks. Lots of todays name brand socks have polyester or spandex in them, which does not breathe and will make your feet hot n sweaty even in cool weather. Foot powder helps too. And this may some silly but another thing I've found helps me to stay cool when it's warm out is thin fabric 100% boxes. That also goes for your clothing. Lots of the modern day camo gear is 50/50 cotton-poly stuff. I've found that if you opt for the 100% thin cotton stuff you'll stay cooler. Lots of times the "moister wicking" stuff isn't even needed then. Good Luck
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:21 pm

I always pack my hunting clothes, boots in a large pack. I walk in shorts, t shirt, tennis shoes. About 100 yds from my tree I cool off, wipe down with unscented wipes, then get dressed. Of course I reapply deodorant. Also, I take Chlorophyllin Copper, which works from inside out. I'm fresh, dry, warm in my hunting clothes.

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:10 am

What does the chlorophyllin copper do?
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:52 am

The chlorophyll works as an internal deodorant. It makes your breath, sweat, urine, etc have less of an odor. I feel like it works well. Scent Blocker sells their brand for about $65 a bottle I belive. But I buy a different brand on eBay for $11.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:05 pm

I will be looking into that, I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind lol. Do you guys have any workouts posted on here? Wanting to change up my workout routine for more endurance for long bikes and walks but continuing to lift. Maybe some light weight high rep stuff. Anyways, if you guys have anything you'd like to share please post and I'll try it.
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Actually funny you say that .....
I was going to talk to Big Dave M. and see if he minded if I started posting some stuff along those lines. Of course it depends on the individual, but the best way to get more endurance doing something is by practicing or doing it regularly. And as far as maintaining your bulk while gaining some cardio, well it can be accomplished but usually that means eating more and spending time on the treadmill;, bike, elliptical, etc. And if you do that you're liable to sweat less when hiking/biking into the woods. Of course there are other factors too like salt intake, water intake, diet, and some people (like me) just plain flat out get overheated & sweaty easier, regardless of carido level. I'm starting to realize that if I want to keep from getting overheated that I need to just move slower on my walk in and take my time.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:18 pm

That would be awesome if you could start a thread like that. I'm getting bored with my current routine and would like to do something different anyways so something along those lines wood be great. Would also be cool to see some recipes/meal plans. Lol not trying to make it a workout forum by any means lol
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top