PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Treestand thoughts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Treestand thoughts

Post by Parkersdad on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I have tried lots of tree stands over the years including tree saddles, Guido's web, lone wolf, API, Summit, tree lounge, millennium and many more. I like my lone Wolf sticks and lock on but man is it uncomfortable. How do you guys hunt? If I sit in a lock on for more than 2 hours I am so fidgety that a deer will not come within a mile of me.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Treestand thoughts

Post by Parkersdad on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:56 pm

I have now switched over to my Lonewolf sit and climb for shorter hunts and my tree walker for longer hunts.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:43 pm

I'm fine on my lone wolf hand climber although it depends on the distance I put my seat to the base on that day. This past weekend I screwed up and put it up too high. So uncomfortable and it was freezing. Was too cold to move it lol. But if I have it just right, I have lasted 5 hours with the occasional stand up and stretch routine. I think all stands have pros and cons and none are perfect. Been having problems with my lone wolf climbing around knots and shaggy bark. You got the X stand that supposedly makes it easier to do that but then it does not pack as tight. But im really happy with the lone wolf at the end of the day. Wish I could try them all before purchasing though.
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:07 pm

I have the hand climber as well and use it on short hunts. The only thing about it is I took the hand climber and the sit and climb to work to weigh them on an accurate scale. I have the Hazmore seat on my sit and climb and it weighs 18.5 pounds. My hand climber weighs 18 so I see no point in using it.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Parkersdad, I echo your thoughts. I gave my lonewolf another try this year and I just can't sit in it more than a few hours, thats even with the comfy seat you can by for it for $50. every year I end up with my summit climber. I can sit all day in that thing...

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Maybe I'm just a little more tolerating of sitting uncomfortably but I can sit in my Muddy Hunter all day if need be. I have 2 of them and an old Gorilla Silverback Magnum that makes the cut too.
bowonly
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:35 pm

I use a bunch of different stands. Loc ons and climbers. The most uncomfortable stand I've ever sat in was my first Lone Wolf Hand Climber. Got it at least 15 yrs ago and I think the seat was made different back then. It was so uncomfortable I just quit using it.

Finally one day I got to thinking how much I paid for that thing and decided I was going to make the seat tolerable somehow. Ended up taking a hacksaw and sawing everything out but part of the sides (long as the seat used to be) and the part that grabs the tree.

Then I cut up one of James's nets he had given me to fit between what was left of the sides and put a Gorilla cushion seat on top of the net.

Been my favorite stand ever since.

Bought a couple of those XOP stands this wk. a Hand Climber and loc on. Looks like pretty good stands..got some XOP sticks  on order also.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:20 am

I have nothing against the XOP stands and I have looked at them. At first they had good prices and now they are not much cheaper than Lonewolf. I think the Alpha is 250 bucks and the equivalent XOP stand is $200. I will spend the extra money every time for American-made. That is just me

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:50 am

The Lone Wolf Hand Climber is about $180.00 more than the XOP Hand Climber. I paid $89.00 for 4 XOP Sticks just like Lone Wolf (Cheapest I could find 4 pack of Lone Wolf was $164.00) and the Loc on XOP was $153.00 including the $3.99 shipping...that's around $250.00 savings for same quality items.

I think China supplies our ammunition now..bullets. I know they made a lot of Lone Wolf Stands for a while.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Definitely and I am not arguing. I will look at them the next time I need to stand as well. Right now I have every stand Lonewolf makes. If I need another I will compare the two and if it is only $50-$75 difference I am going to buy Lonewolf. The guys at Lone Wolf have been too good to me over the years to just drop like a cheap suit.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Changing it up this year

Post by cutty on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:04 pm

My plan was to change tactics to using the  tree saddle  this year . I have cabella  climbers that I chopped the seats and removed the rests off of them they're around 18#s.They have been my go to stands. I use my Tree Lounge only occasionally and have several ladders that I leave in Osceola Nat Forest . I have the original Anderson tree sling but only use it as a safety harness most of the time. I purchased Jim Stepps Stepp ladder this year and a tree saddle . After seeing Warren Womack's Climbing Methods I got An Ez Kut drill and IM awaiting 30 bolts I bought on E-bay I'm usually good until around noon or !PM. In my climbers or ladders. We'll have to see about the saddle.

cutty

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:02 pm

I can sit all day in my Summit Open Shot climber and my Loc-On Windwalker. I had an API climber that I used to be able to sleep in because the sling seat was so comfortable. I just set it low to the base and made the seat deeper in the back, that stand also had longer arm rails than most, so it was like kicking back in a recliner!

I have also owned a few stands that cut off circulation in the back of my thighs, and a few that made my back stiff. I guess you really need to try a few tree stands in order to find the one that is most comfortable for you.

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:23 am

I figured the entire thing out. I bought a Slumper 16 seat and now my hand climber and my hang on are very comfortable to me. Except for one sit that is all I have used this season.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:39 pm

I was using Lone Wolf when they were made in Wisconsin by Andre. Good stands. Even when they were made in China. But...not comfortable at all. For me comfort means I can stay in the stand longer. I now have 2 Summit Viper stands. I replaced the foam seats with a net seat. I can sit for a long spell in this set up.

Experimenting with tree stands can get pretty expensive. I have went through quite a few before settling on the Summit. They get the nod from me.
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:55 pm

one day i will value comfort, But right now i value mobility. Loc-on limit and muddy sticks,(when tha rock climbin harness arrives, it will be stick... not sticks) Yeee Haww:)
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:22 am

Amen to that vortex! One man, one stick, one stand, one harness, one bow......

ONE MISSION!
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:11 am

In the early-season comfort doesn't matter to me as much. As our four month season drags on I do look for a little more comfort so I switch to the Lonewolf sit and climb.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top