PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

When do You Start Scouting for Next Year?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When do You Start Scouting for Next Year?

Post by madeforthewoods on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Hey Guys,
Just wondering when you all personally start scouting and planning for next year and what you look for. I personally start on opening day of rifle season here in Michigan, which is Novemeber 15. The bowhunting is never the same after that so I focus on my scouting once that time comes. I like to see where the deer go and how they react from the immense amount of gun pressure my state gets. Then I can try to hit those areas where they feel more secure on the following year, before the bazooka's and AK's hit the woods! LOL
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Re: When do You Start Scouting for Next Year?

Post by NanookOdaNorth on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:46 pm

I am always scouting for next year. I will give you an example: Our archery season ended on Nov. 15th, and rifle bear season started on Nov 22nd. I found great, fresh buck sign in an area that I hunted for the first time this year on the first day of bear. Knowing what the wind was at the end of archery, I am pretty confident that the buck was probably using this area then, and given similar conditions during the rut next year, I am confident that that buck, or another, will probably be using this area again. The buck can use the wind to detect danger coming from every direction that a land-based predator will be coming from...I wade into this area when I hunt there, and he can't smell me coming. The area between him and the nearest roads has an immense, thick greenbriar patch that nobody can walk through. He's really safe there, or so he thinks!

The hardest part of scouting all the time is trying to remember everything. That's why I keep a journal of everything I want to return to. My journal has GPS coordinates, pictures of deer sign and trees I plan to hunt out of, preferable wind directions, and times I have been there and seen deer.

BTW, I hit the woods hard from the end of the deep snows after hunting season until Spring Gobbler season at the end of April. That is when I do most of my really serious scouting and treestand preparation!

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:43 am

Agreed. Always scouting for next year. Shoot, sometimes I'm scouting from stand while I hunt and happen to be off the movement pattern 50 or 60 yards. Lots of times the wind or work will prevent a return to that spot in a few days time, so I'll file it away and do a bit more in depth look for the following season if I can't get back on stand in that spot this one.

Your plan is sound, but I have dome the same thing and found some of my supposed "sanctuaries" are completely devoid of deer activity without the pressure. Lack of food sources in patches of heavy cover, or better seasonally available food sources that are not in these sanctuaries during the rut and have the does elsewhere can put one in a position of wasting time in areas deer flock to when the guns start going off.
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cityhunter on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:34 am

I start scouting during gun season and muzzleloader season and from then on after here in Ohio. I always like to scout with snow on the ground as well. I will scout out areas that look good and then hunt them a few times before our season ends at the beginning of February. I like to see how they are traveling if possible and don't necessarily hunt the prime locations but rather more of a scouting location. This is of course if I already have a buck on the ground. If I don't have a buck on the ground I still hunt my known areas hard.

cityhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:45 am

I scout and take notes year round. To me scouting is the next best thing to hunting.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Withered Oak on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:19 am

madeforthewoods wrote:Hey Guys,
Just wondering when you all personally start scouting and planning for next year

I'm always scouting if I'm in the woods. It doesn't matter what I'm there for I usually end up scouting for deer.

madeforthewoods wrote:
and what you look for.

I try to learn everything I can about a deer's way of life and day to day activities. I have always felt that the better you know a deer's individual preferences and personal habits the better off you will be. I mainly focus on bedding but look for all sign of feeding and travel.

Withered Oak

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Amen to that... and by learning more about a deer's way of life I can extend my deer season to basically all year long which is an awesome bonus for me!
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by primehunter on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:03 pm

I start in the winter time. and then in the spring time I start putting out trail cameras. I'm way were from 1 mile to 11/2 mile in. I take them out in sept because that when the path get mowed and other hunter start scouting.
primehunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top