PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Do deer drink salt water?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by north woods archer on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:07 pm

So I'll be hunting a wildlife refuge along the coast. The refuge is made up of small Woodlots and tidal marsh. Surrounded by mansions (posted private property). I've been scouting using topo maps, Google Earth, ect. Looking for funnels & heavy cover (which paid off last year) Then the questions came to me.
Will deer go out of there way for fresh water?
Should I be locating the fresh water source?
north woods archer
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Do deer drink salt water?

Post by madeforthewoods on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:40 pm

I could be wrong here, but I think that they will drink fresh water IF it is available. I remember reading somewhere that deer actually get most of the hydration they require from plants, soft mast, etc similar to humans; very few people drink the so-called "8 glasses of water a day" simply because we don't need to. We get most of the hydration we need from our foods, and from what I've read deer do also. So I would think as long as they have decent food in the area then they probably aren't going to be searching for standing fresh water. As far as will they drink the salt water, I'd say they might a little maybe for the nutrient factor but I don't think I'd try to focus on it during hot weather like you would with a fresh water pond or stream. That's probably an obvious answer but it's just my opinion.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top