PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

deer hunting 2015-2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down

deer hunting 2015-2016

Post by PineywoodsBow on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:05 pm

I am surprised at how quiet its been on here, being we are so close to bow season, so I decided to reveal my game plan this year. I'm doing two things this year that will be new. First, I will be hunting bow season strictly with a recurve:

" />

The second thing I'm doing is hunting exclusively from the ground in a natural ground blind. Here is one of my blinds:

I have two areas I'm concentrating on this year, they are both along a creek, with white oaks in the area. One of the areas is in a line of white oaks that produce every year, the other area is a travel route between two groups of white oaks. They are both pinch points allowing a 10-20 yard shot. At both areas I also created a mock scrape in my shooting lane. Meet "Rocky". He is the buck I am specifically after this year. He looks to be about a 4 year old, at maybe 130". I won't hesitate to take a doe at these spots as well, but He is what I am really after:

" />

This is public land so we are only allowed 1 buck in this WMA, so spikes are going to get a pass. Post up what your game plan is this year, It's interesting to see what others are doing on public land around the country! Happy Hunting!!

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Re: deer hunting 2015-2016

Post by stickbndr on Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:20 pm

It's strictly a recurve and POC shafts for me. Will be going into my hunting areas without scouting this year. Had a little set back this summer, got a pacemaker, and haven't been cleared by the doc yet. Only shot about 25 arrows so far but I will be ready. Last year I tried ground blinds a few times. I kinda liked it. May have to look for a good setup and try it again.

stickbndr
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Great post! Best of luck this season!

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:42 pm

First off, awesome post bro! But Anyway, I will be primarily ground hunting this year if not exclusively. Recurve some of the time, compound some of the time. Focusing mostly on new areas that I have not hunted before, only scouted. I have a few areas I'm excited about that are pretty small, super dense cover with highways of trails within them, crossing in mutliple places. Those i can only see about 25 yards tops. Those are recurve-only spots.

I'm also planning on doing some still hunting/stalking. for this I will be using my compound. But one thing I'm definitely doing is hunting simpler and without all the dumb gadgets and doo-dads I have seem to become dependent on yet never seem to need.

Another thing I am doing is changing up my camo selection. I'll be wear the patterns that I know work and that science says works. I'm not going to use this year's version of Realtree AP, Mossy Oak Obsession, Under Armor or whatever Lee & Tiffany Lakakakakakakakoski are wearing on TV.

My game plan is to make this season a new adventure in the woods, to relieve stress not relive it. To 100% enjoy myself doing what I love and maybe shoot some deer in the process.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by north woods archer on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:54 am

I'll be hunting a wildlife refuge along the coast. The refuge is made up of small Woodlots. Using maps I've located several funnels In this high populated area. Most of these spots I've never set foot in. Thurs & Fri we are expecting rain. I'll take advantage speed scout, and pick stand locations. Saturday morning I'll be sitting in the most promising spot. I'll be hunting these areas most of the season. For the expanded archery season nothing walks. Allowed 1 buck & all the antlerless tags I can fill.
Mid October I hit the big woods. Already have stands hung & cams being my eyes.
Good luck all
north woods archer
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:23 pm

My plan is little varied. I'll be taking my wife hunting on her archery only lease several weekends in early season. My time will be split up. In October I will be hunting a NWR in northern LA. Just scouted it this week and found lots of good sign. In November I'll be making my annual Missouri hunt to a Conservation Area in central western Mizzou. Also in November I plan on hunting my old stomping grounds in central LA. December will also find me there since the rut gets kicked off there in the latter part of December. In January I'll be found in a different NWR in north LA that I haven't hunted in years but always seems to produce some great bucks. I plan to have a busy season.
bowonly
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:13 pm

After looking over past hunting journals I think I have figured out what I am doing wrong the past few years. The years I was killing nice buck I was only hunting one spot every 2 to 3 weeks. The last couple of years I have been going to the same spot over and over. I am going to get back to only hunting a good spot once every couple of weeks.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top