PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Best way to pack in hunting equipment?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best way to pack in hunting equipment?

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Trying to think of new (easier) ways to get all of my gear into my spots. Taking in stands, steps, bow, clothes etc... How do you guys do it? I would be glad to hear anything to help lighten the load or make it more manageable.
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Best way to pack in hunting equipment?

Post by PineywoodsBow on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:13 pm

The only way I know of, and do myself now, is to abandon tree hunting altogether and hunt from the ground. 18lbs in a army duffle bag with shoulder straps. Everything you need to hunt all day including water, chair, food, and everything you need to butcher a deer in the field and haul it back in. It has really made hunting public land more enjoyable. There is no doubt hunting in trees has its advantages, but one of the huge disadvantages it adds is WEIGHT!

Jason

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:58 pm

I had a similar post to this one a few months back, got lots of good feedback. One thing I'll say is each time you hunt, whatever you pack in should be specific to that hunt. In other words take only what you'll need for that particular hunt. Chances are you may not always need extra gloves, bow hangers, binos, 5 grunt calls, rattling horns, etc. That will save you some weight. I even try to force myself to only use a small fanny pack or even just what I can fit in my pockets.

Another thing I started doing this year most of the time is ground hunting. Saves me the time, hassle, noise and weight of a stand. Not to mention I don't get overheated as easily walking in. And I leave less evidence of my presence to deer and people.

I even went as far as dropping some unneeded accessories on my bow. Got rid of the 8 arrow quiver and went to a hip quiver or 4 arrow bow mounted one. Took off the stabilizer because I honestly never noticed a difference anyway. I even went back to instinctive shooting with my compound just so I could take the sights off.

And as PWB said above, stands have advantages and can be fun but the added weight and hassle sucks in my opinion. And also if it is above 55 or 60 degrees I don't even consider them because I'll be sweating buckets by the time I get up in the tree. I just get hot too easy and I don't wanna be a sweaty smelly mess out there.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Not sure I'm the one to ask about easier. Everything I pack in is either on my back or around my waist. That includes my stand and sticks, food, water, and all the necessities I need for a day in the woods. Including equipment to field dress a deer and clear shooting lanes if necessary. Extra clothes or rain gear I strap onto my fanny pack. With bow in hand, I'm all in.
bowonly
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:00 pm

Same here bow only. I was also wondering how much success you guys have bunting off the ground on public land. I haven't had very much luck with it.
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:02 pm

The only time I've ever used a ground blind on public land, I had a good buck notice the blind when he was about 70yds out and turn around to return the way he came.
bowonly

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:33 pm

When I say "ground hunting" I'm referring to just sitting at the bottom of a tree, or within some brushy cover, or in some fallen trees, etc; ground BLIND hunting is something totally different. I only use store bought pop-up portable blinds when hunting with my kids, mainly my 8 year old because it hides her movement and keeps her out of the weather.

I agree the store bought pop-ups definitely can get noticed by deer, although brushing them in well helps, along with setting them up a few weeks in advance. But seriously, in all honesty when I'm just ground hunting, meaning myself sitting at the base of a good tree or whatever, as long as I'm not moving, my camo is right for the area and the wind is right, I rarely ever get seen.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:39 pm

Found this matching set today while scouting and hanging stands.
Attachments
IMG_4876.jpeg found this matching set today while scouting and hanging stands.You don't have permission to download attachments.(39 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:44 pm

I've never tried that tactic madeforthewoods other than with my rifle. I'm not sure I'm on that level yet lol! I get busted enough as is, could only imagine how bad it would be for me if I was on the ground without a blind.
Bchadwick1990
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm always packing a heavy load, with the video gear and everything else I need, the stand and pack are 30-40 pounds. I use a Lone Wolf hand climber thats slim and weighs 12 lbs, yet very versatile in trees it can climb, and stable once up. I have a large backpack for the rest of my gear, and I strap that to the stand with the shoulder and was it harness. I then secure it with the stabilizer straps for the tree stand seat, it's sturdy and quiet as I hike, and ready to go at the drop of a hat. Sure, it is a lug, but with the wide shoulder straps it is not uncomfortable on long hikes, and has a fairly slim profile. I chose a pack with many different pockets and developed a system for having everything placed and ready to remove in order of necessity, i.e. safety rope, haul up ropes first, release, tree arm video gear to be secured and taken out once up, then things like grunt call and pee jug where they can be found as needed later.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by north woods archer on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Slim down on gear. This year I've mounted my cams on my bow. Eliminating my camera arm and other mounts. Ive also  eliminated all the small things not needed. 
If needed use a frame pack. The're made to make alot of weight feel light. I use a Magnus RakPak  when hanging stands. I carry all my stuff comfortably. This frame pack also flips around to a chair for groundblind hunting. I put my 90lb daughter on it an carried her around like nothing.
north woods archer
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:03 am

Unfortunately, there is a price to pay for quality footage. Carrying a camera good enough to record it is one of them. The other is stabilizing that camera properly. Those bow and gun mounted cameras, sure they take good footage. Then you pull the trigger. My pack will get heavier during the rut when various scent drags and such are being carried, or when I'm hunting all day and need much and lots of liquids, lighter on an early season hunt when all I really need is a battle of water, a safety harness and a gutting knife.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 am

My pack also gets heavier as the season progresses. I just keep addin' tools and tricks to my pack. Hat-tip to SlowBow for doin the extra work of lugging in all the camera gear so the rest of us have awesome videos to watch. I wish I had the tech savy to do that.

Ahhhhhhh .... remember the good ol' days when all you carried in was a pair of gloves in your pocket? Although back in those days the compound bows weighed about 20lbs with all the accessories on them. It seems we've traded in for lighter bows & gear just we can carry around more of it.
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top