PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

I worked hard to get this guy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I worked hard to get this guy

Post by madeforthewoods on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:56 am

Well yesterday was the last of a 4 day break between firearm season & black powder season, so I went out with my bow. I went to an area that is usually devoid of deer activity after the bullets have been flying for two weeks, especially the buck activity. But I went anyway just to enjoy the woods. I found a large scrape with fresh hoof marks in it so I sat about 30 yards away from it, under a cedar tree with the wind in may favor.

After only 5 minutes I grunted a few times, then about 2 minutes after that I used a K'meer Deer call (if anyone remembers those LOL). immediately I heard a noise to my left. I looked and saw a big 6 point. He came right in front of me at 20 yards. I put an arrow thru him right where you'd want it. He was quartering to me so the exit was a little gutty.

Last edited by madeforthewoods on Tue May 17, 2016 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Re: I worked hard to get this guy

Post by madeforthewoods on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:08 am

I had great blood the entire time, and I expected to find him very quickly.... however, we all know how tough deer are. Needless to say, he traveled over 1/2 mile, across a paved road and even up a super steep hill. I lost blood for a few minutes on another paved path, and when I looked to my left there was a tall cattail marsh, and he stood up 30 yards from me and ran across it.

I then made a huge circle to the other side of the cattail marsh where I saw him go. I waded out into the marsh til the 35 degree water was over my boots and up to my crotch. I spotted him staring at me 12 yards away, and we were both frozen that way for a few minutes. I drew back another arrow and took the only clear ethical shot I had which was his white throat patch.

He made a few big jumps and then died 20 yards away from me. Dragging him thru the 7 foot tail cattail marsh surrounded by autumn olives was challenging, but worth it after tracking him that far and wading out to within 12 yards of him. I know guys that would have given up long before trailing him that far, but I'm not wired that way. In my book, you shoot a deer, you recover it. I had utmost confidence in my first shot, which was exactly where I thought it was. This buck just had a strong will for survival. As did I for hunting him down. His rack was pretty high, about 17 inches wide with only 6 points, and he dressed out at 195lbs. My boots and pants are hangin up outside drying in the sun Cool
Attachments
big 6.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(16 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Great buck and great story! Persistence pays off.
bowonly
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:55 pm

Thank you, and yes it definitely did
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down