PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

A First for Everything

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A First for Everything

Post by Cajun Kamikaze on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Well, I spent the weekend out at Pomme de Terre in Avoyelles Parish. It was my first time out there and it was really more of a scouting trip for next weekend. Looking like the weather and moon phase will be great for it.

I put in 7 miles of hiking around trying to get a good understanding of the topo and vegetation. And while I didn't go to all of the places I initially thought I could make it to, I now know how to get where I want. Looking at the map, I see it in a whole new light.

Day one ended with me not finding anything but a few old tracks and some old droppings in the swamp. On day 2 I focused on an area south of Lake Sutton and found some fresh buck tracks and a rub under a couple nuttall oaks and jumped a deer not far from it. I then moved to the north side of lake sutton directly south of Lac Patassa and tried to head for a ridge on the north side of the swamp just northeast of the Lac. That didn't happen, I was not going to have enough time to make it there and back in a decent amount of time so I took the atv trail to the far east trail end and started scouting to the north. I figured some of the herd was moving back and forth from the slough to a private food plot just off the property line. More fresh sign. Ultimately looks like I will head even further north east to a big food plot on WMA property and see what that looks like, seems to be another big ridge on the north east. I did find some fresh remains of a deer, based on the hoof it looked to be a doe but not certain or it.

Also just found out a friend of mine has some property that boarders the WMA on the North end, man, sure would be a savior to get access via his property! Keeping my fingers crossed. One more weekend left to seal the deal. Right now it's jeff-0 deer-4.... Praying for a miracle!

Oh, and here's my camp, nights get lonely, thank God for fire lol
Attachments
20160205_100342.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(166 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
20160206_053055.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(83 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

Cajun Kamikaze

Back to top Go down

Re: A First for Everything

Post by Cajun Kamikaze on Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Well, I/we got it done! And it was an epic trip. After all the failures and learning comes great success! Bagged a nice mature doe, Heart shot! My first deer taken with my compound.

It happened Saturday night way way back in the swamp. Was able to recover her early the next morning. She hadn't gone 30 yrds.

In 3 days and 4 hunts, we saw more than a couple dozen hogs, 4 doe, 1 young buck and a bobcat. It was awesome! Cheers to the 2015-2016 archery season!

Cajun Kamikaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Congratulations man! There's nothing more rewarding than scouting unknown public land and making it happen. Congrats again!

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum