PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

What To Do

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What To Do

Post by SlowBow on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 pm

So the other day, I'm out turkey hunting. After my issue that I really don't want to discuss (missed) I was swinging through to look at a set up I had been working a bird at off the roost that hung up on me before I went after the other gobbler. Now this spot is in a spot that I have and probably will hunt again. Way back off the beaten track, hard to get to and I've killed here before and seen a few good ones too.

Well, I find a tree stand. Lock on, screw in steps (illegal) and its been there for a while, judging from the debris on the platform. It's also illegal to leave stands in place here, they must be removed at the end of each day,State Law.

Now,I don't care if folks are hunting in my spot, and if someone beats me in, I've got fallbacks. But I do dislike illegal activity, and the fact that this guy probably considers this "his spot" and will take issue and ruin my hunt if I hunt nearby.

In the past I have given GPS co-ordinates to NRP officers, but this usually results in the stand staying there and a "we'll watch it and try and catch the guy", which I kind of doubt really happens given the hikes to the remote areas I report.

So what do you think a solution to this issue would be? I will say that simply taking the stand is not an option for me, I am not a thief, even of illegal property.
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What To Do

Post by Waiting4Fall on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Man that sucks, but is part of the challenge of doing what we do. You could try to make lemonade from this lemon. Since it sounds like quite a hike back to this spot, this guy might be dedicated like us. If he scouted & found this spot honestly, great minds think alike.

We don't know why this guy has not come back to get his stuff, it's hard to tell. I say write down our forum address, with a quick paragraph telling him about us. Put in a ziplock bag & tape it up real good to one of the tree steps.

That is my benefit of the doubt, nice guy version. Since I'm trying to lead by example here I will just leave it at that. Wink

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:34 pm

I was thinking across those same lines, but I was going to put a note with the regulations,highlighting the passages that prohibit leaving stand in place with a note saying GPS co-ordinates will be given to NRP if stand is not removed.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I have had the same issue in the WMA that I hunt for as long as I have hunted there. I had just chalked it up to consequences of hunting public land. Well, a couple years ago I finally got fed up with the outlaw activities I had been witnessing for 30 plus years of hunting there. I approached a Wildlife and Fisheries agent and presented him with the problem. I offered to personally take him to each and every "permanent stand" location and allow him to do whatever is was that he wanted to about the situation. Well today's agents, I'm sorry to say, are lazy. He was not interested in leaving the comfort of his vehicle to act upon these illegal activities. He told me that I could do whatever I wanted with the stands since they were there illegally. I even offered to take them down and haul them out for him to confiscate.....he was not interested. So with the agent's permission, I removed said stands. There are now new stands in some of the same locations as before and they are being left up after all seasons are closed......it's a losing battle.

Sorry for the rant, but this a sore subject with me.
bowonly

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:00 am

Agreed. It irks me as well. On one hand, it's better than the old wooden tree stands I used to find nailed to trees with stolen materials from the construction site where the guy probably worked, that would get hunted for a season or two, then abandoned as an eye sore left to kill the trees.

OTOH, it's rude and lazy, and also damages the tree. Left out all season, the stand will grow into the tree eventually killing it, and the stand will also become unsafe, as the bolts and straps will rust and rot, and the screw in steps will rust and become unsafe to climb,and leave the tree prone to infection if removed.

SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:54 am

Last week I went to Erwin E Wilder WMA in MA to an area that's difficult to get to unless you use a canoe or kyack. I found six commercial tree stands three of which I wouldn't use they were in such bad shape. One of them the tree has grown around the tree steps. Another spot I hunted a lot last couple of seasons has two stands that have been there for at least two years and haven't been used. One of them the tree is growing around the stand chain. I find stands all over, just left because people are too lazy to remove them. I feel it's litter!
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:44 pm

You could be right. A number of years ago, near this same spot, I noticed a black trash bag buried under the leaves. My investigation revealed a climber that had been left behind. It was an expensive Old Man, I think, but it had been there a number of years, and roots had grown up through it and ground cover had grown through the bag. You have to wonder if some of these stands are there because the owner never returned or simply could not find his way back to them? In that case they are litter.

SlowBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: