PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Scouting done!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scouting done!!

Post by PineywoodsBow on Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 am

Well, I know we still have a ways before next season, but I believe I am more prepared for this next season than I ever have been. Got my scouting done, GPS coordinates organized and all ready to go! I like to do my scouting in the spring, what about you guys?

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Scouting done!!

Post by Cbigbear on Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 am

I scout all year long. I enjoy scouting as much as hunting. During the offseason I'm looking for feed trees, bedding areas, & terrain features. During season I'm looking for deer sign - trails, dropping, ground disturbance, rubs, & scrapes.

I try to scout at least 2 hrs a day during season. This is what is great about large tracts of public land; you can cover a lot of ground without the fear of pressuring deer out of a small block of land.

STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Tue May 08, 2012 5:36 pm

My scouting is never done either.

I've been putting in some miles chasing public land gobblers this spring. I have found that those slow mornings in the turkey woods are a GREAT time to look for deer sign. I find a few spots every spring that really look good, and I've found a few of my "old standby" go-to spots in the spring.

But with crop rotation and habitat change, storms knocking trees down over the summer, and movement patter changes over the spring,summer, fall and winter as the seasons change and hunting pressures increase and decrease, while spring is good you really need to be a 4 season scouter to stay on top of public land deer.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PineywoodsBow on Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I agree scouting year round is the way to go for public land, but I dont have the time or resources for it. I mainly scout transitions and pinch points so there isn't any change during the seasons. I can usually tell pretty quickly if a pre-scouted spot is going to turn out, and I always do a little in-season scouting after the hunt.

ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BowhunterGA on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:15 pm

I also scout year round. I start focusing of food sources this time of year and start trying to anticipate what food will be available and when. I then use the information I capturing during the late winter and early spring to identify stand locations that I can use to ambush as deer travel from food to bedding. I rarely hunt directly over food sources but if it is a short lived but hot food souce like persimmons, crab apples, or muscadines I may hunt directly over food in early season.

Simply Traditional
BowhunterGA

http://www.simplytraditional.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Now theres a good tip for any hunter, learn too identify trees. If you can pick out white oaks, persimmons, apple trees, and other mast bearers before the develop and drop their crops, you can set up on early season food sources like that well in advance, and then slip in during the season without a big disturbance to the area the deer are actively feeding in once they do start producing.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me. I've got to get out and make sure there a clear lanes at a persimmon I've killed over before. It lies 50 yards or so off a crop field that should be soy this year, on a travel route into a thick bedding area. Great morning set up, as the deer will hit it coming off the field on their way to bed when it starts dropping.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:32 am

I learned from years of scouting all 4 seasons is not the beat way to go. I do almostly all of my sersious scouting after season. I keep a eye out durning the 30 or 40 days I gobbler hunt. Never know when you'll run into a sweet spot.
If I go to all the trouble to scout out a buck to a spot. I don't want to give myself away come the hunting season. THe more a buck knows someone where their not serpose to be. It just got WAYYYYYYYYYYY harder to pin him down to kill him.
In the winter the I only time I walk around my hunting areas and run cameras. People go crazzy running in and out of their hunting area for those picture's when they should be staying out of there hunting areas at that time of year.
In the winter pressure not a concern then. Deer don't remember the way we do. They live through instint. But if you walk around your areas durning season. I'll garntee you 100% those maturer bucks (any deer) will find you out and change their patterns to avold your presances.
People like scouting durning the season because it' helps to keep them KEYED up for the up comeing hunting. And thats the way their taught. There's other reasons it gives you on time scouting what the deers doing then. Or the excersice they get or it gives them a reason to get in a little better shape for hunting. What ever the reason your makeing it a lot hard on you and a lot easyer on your buck.
All these things about that buck or bucks are just easy to find out with winter scouting without adding that uneeded pressure or your buck or bucks and to your hunting sites.
Unless food scorces change, nothing changes from year to year only the bucks when the die. Unless there's a major land change. And that only happens with house's (something) or roads being built.

There is another time I love to scout and thats late summer. I glass all my bucks in JULY and AUG. I know this is PL ,NF site. But I only gobbler hunt PL,NF any more. I manage farms for poeple and for myself. But I did for 25 years. I live in farm land and have always have lots of farms to hunt. But then I buck hunted PL and NF, not because I had to I wanted to. Hunting PL and NF means mountain hunting ariound here buck here are a lot harder to see durning the summer months. And it's alot harder to see your management program working in the mountains.
In farm land I can glass and see all my deer in JUY AUG. OUR IN THE BEANS. I just love to see my management working.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:08 am

I admit I have little confidence in locating & hunting bedding areas. I hunt very large continuous tracts of river bottoms most are at least a couple thousand ac. The deer bed in the numerous briar patches & feed on the hottest oak trees. Not sure how you could pre scout these bedding areas because their usage depends on the available food source. I think in my case your best chance at getting & staying on deer is daily scouting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top