PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Tacks and Tape

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tacks and Tape

Post by SlowBow on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:19 pm

So,we all have seen it. The trail flags,bright eyes and even trash bags tied to trees to mark trails and spots. Some of the spots I hunt are so bad it looks like the Milkyway Galaxy there are so many bright eyes. I don't know how folks know which trail is the one they marked.

I've seen people use a whole pack like they are "claiming" a spot (I think that's what a lot of guys think this means, it's their spot,stay out) I have seen folks use tape and tacks to mark trails for hundreds or even thousands of yards, from a field edge right to their spot through open hardwoods, and I've even seen folks tack the main two track onto the area. My feelings are if you can`t find your way to within 50 yards of your stand,or find your way down a two lane fire road,you don`t really belong in the woods.

I do use a few bright eyes myself, but only in the immediate area I hunt,and NEVER on the tree I plan to climb,maybe on a sapling or deadfall nearby the tree I picked to make for a quicker entry when I get close.I also remove them when I`m done for the season, I would no more leave these things in the woods than a pop can or an empty bottle of doe pee.

I also hear lots of complaints from other hunters about their tacks being pulled or tape torn down by someone else,resulting in a blown hunt because they could not find their tree that morning.

Personally I consider items left on public hunting areas trash. I will remove them as such, but not in season. I wait and pull trail tape and tacks I see during my post season scouting.

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS: MARYLAND CHAPTER REPRESENTATIVE
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tacks and Tape

Post by Waiting4Fall on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Thankfully not too much of a problem, in the areas where I hunt. However, when I do see an orange ribbon tied to a limb every 50 feet I can't help but chuckle.

Go to the 1:54 mark on this video. I think this is perfect example for this thread.

Last edited by Dave Mullins on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 3 times in total

FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 am

This also a pet peeve of mine. If I see ribbon on my way in or out I rip it down. I also feel if you need that much marking tape to find your way, you need to stay at the house.
bowonly

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:26 pm

For starters, the ribbons let me know that there is a hunter using that area who may not have very good woodsman skills, so I know to stay away because he is probably spooking every deer there already. I leave those ribbons alone till season is over and I am doing my post season scouting, that's when I collect them and dispose of them properly. If the ribbons return next season then I know the greenhorn is back!

I use tacks to direct me in areas where I hunt very rarely or where the GPS simply won't work, like under evergreen trees.

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by msaskins on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 pm

I see a lot of lone blue ribbons tied to a tree and I've always wondered if that was their marker to find the tree or if it had any other significance.
Like maybe they were hunting that tree earlier and wanted to let everyone know so they would stay out . . .
I see the ribbons, but they go up and come down so often I never knew what they meant. I never see anything on the way in to guide someone to a particular tree - Just one marker at the tree itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:51 pm

I see them I clear them, Some that used them needs to learn woodsmenship. I'll scout in daylight and I can find My way back in at night with a red or green light. Most of the time I just use a light to get near the area I going to hunt. Then turn it off.

I'll use a white light if I'm in bear country or big cat country. When the Moon is full there is no need for a light. I not see a need for any tape/brighteyes other then trailing a shoot animal to mark blood drops.

When someone uses then, they are letting others know where they are, and showing off spots.. In these days of GPS's (for those that use them)You don't need any tape, trash or brighteyes. Learm the woods and leave the trash out of the woods. If not someone like Me will clean it up and You'll be lost in the woods.

Back to top Go down

Post by addisonlee on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:48 pm

I see plenty of them but have found them very usualful in remote marshy areas at night, when everything looks the same trying to get back to the car. These are areas I've hunted before and sometimes still find myself using these reflectors. In fact, the area I'm speaking of as a lost hunter every year. Scary feeling when you think you're lost with no electronics and only a flash light, especially when the coyotes and wolfs start howling.

I leave them be when I see them. These signs only let me know where not to go. Afterall, if it was yours, you wouldn't appreciate them. Who knows it could be a first time hunter learning on his own, why ruin it for him/her.

http://www.HmongAmericanSportsmenClub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I should have pointed out "If they look like they have been there for sometime" If the ground doesn't look like someone was there in a few days They come down. I have been lost before and if You know just a few things You will be OK and can walk out no problem.

Moss - northside of trees
North Star - Moves East to West Year round
These are just 2 ways that will help You get out.. Also a small cut in the bark of a tree or limb (not deep, just enuff to show the way) is better then tape, tacks or trash. Most ppl just doesn't have any kind of woodsmen skills these days and that is bad..

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Not too big of a problem here in the areas I hunt. Like mysticquido, I just normally use a red lens flash light to find my way in and out.

TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by Northwoodslayer on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 pm

I agree with many of you. Scout your area thoroughly, memorize landmarks to know where you are at. I use tape/tacks only when leaving a blood trail. I remove them as I take up the track again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top